Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1516171819>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thorning  
#161 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 8:46:23 AM(UTC)
thorning

Groups: Registered

Today I decided I would make an attempt to fix the problem of the clutch on our Neptune top load which resulted in the problem of not spinning the water out at the start of the spin cycle. This resulted in an error code of dC and a bunch of soggy wet clothes. Following Dick's instructions with his very well defined procedures I was able to remove the clutch assembly and dismantle it. The one way bearing arrangement was indeed not working properly in that the coupler shaft would move freely both CW and CCW when I twisted it by hand. I slid the shaft out of the bearing and cleaned it up although it was not rusty ,corroded, or damaged in any way. Next the rollers in the bearing were checked carefully and no damage was noted. I used WD40 to clean up the rollers, carefully wiped it off and applied some light silicone grease (all I had) to the rollers and reassembled. The shaft now works as it should locking up in one direction and turning free in the opposite direction. The clutch inner parts such as the spring were cleaned of any dirt or rust of which there was very little and put back together. Reassembly into the bottom of the machine and putting the belt back on took a little more time. A test will be done shortly and I will report the findings on this forum. Total time to do this job was about 3 hours since I had not done one before. Next one if ever will cut that time in half.
thorning  
#162 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 10:52:14 AM(UTC)
thorning

Today I Put a few items of clothing in the washer to see if the problem was cured. The machine ran thru the cycle until the 11 minute /start of spin and stopped working . It would try to spin but did not. Took the clothes out and started to run it thru the rest of the cycle but had the misfortune of the bolt coming loose for the clutch pulley. The pulley fell off and the belt came off the motor. Took the front cover off and put the pulley back on and used Loctite on the bolt. The dC code did not show up but the unit would not spin the water out. It tried for a few seconds but did not . I noted that the RH strut was showing a lot of milky material on the rod as compared to the LH strut. Not sure if this is a cause of the problem or an effect. I have not given up completely on this machine but would appreciate any suggestions from other people with more experience.
DB App.  
#163 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:23:06 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Good Job!!!!!
DB App.  
#164 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:26:14 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
Today I Put a few items of clothing in the washer to see if the problem was cured. The machine ran thru the cycle until the 11 minute /start of spin and stopped working . It would try to spin but did not. Took the clothes out and started to run it thru the rest of the cycle but had the misfortune of the bolt coming loose for the clutch pulley. The pulley fell off and the belt came off the motor. Took the front cover off and put the pulley back on and used Loctite on the bolt. The dC code did not show up but the unit would not spin the water out. It tried for a few seconds but did not . I noted that the RH strut was showing a lot of milky material on the rod as compared to the LH strut. Not sure if this is a cause of the problem or an effect. I have not given up completely on this machine but would appreciate any suggestions from other people with more experience.

When mine started the 11 minute syndrome, it was after a thunderstorm.
The boards had no visible damage, yet failed to ever complete another wash cycle.
thorning  
#165 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:58:14 PM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: DB App. Go to Quoted Post
When mine started the 11 minute syndrome, it was after a thunderstorm.
The boards had no visible damage, yet failed to ever complete another wash cycle.

Our washer started this at random a few weeks ago but there was no electrical disturbance such as a thunderstorm. I have since bought a new Speed Queen washer but I really want to fix this Maytag without spending a ton of money. It really is economical on water and the high spin speed saves a lot of drying time. Did you get your unit repaired ? If so was the circuit board the problem ?
DB App.  
#166 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:33:03 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Our washer started this at random a few weeks ago but there was no electrical disturbance such as a thunderstorm. I have since bought a new Speed Queen washer but I really want to fix this Maytag without spending a ton of money. It really is economical on water and the high spin speed saves a lot of drying time. Did you get your unit repaired ? If so was the circuit board the problem ?

No, I did not put any more effort into the machine. I gave it to the kid down the street to tear apart and learn about mechanical things. I think most of it went into the curbside toter as the parts came off the machine.... I do agree with you on the high spin speeds of the Maytag, I noticed longer dry times with our new washer.
thorning  
#167 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:26:16 AM(UTC)
thorning

I again tried a slightly different approach on the non spin problem on our Neptune top load machine. Today I put in a few items of clothing and ran it on the Speed wash cycle and the lowest spin speed. The washer did not have a problem with this arrangement and spun out the water as normal. Not sure if it will function properly on the normal wash cycle and lowest spin speed however. Is there anyone reading this able to comment on the series of actions I have taken to fix this problem ?
thorning  
#168 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2014 12:05:40 PM(UTC)
thorning

I again tried a slightly different approach on the non spin problem on our Neptune top load machine. Today I put in a few items of clothing and ran it on the Speed wash cycle and the lowest spin speed. The washer did not have a problem with this arrangement and spun out the water as normal. Not sure if it will function properly on the normal wash cycle and lowest spin speed however. Is there anyone reading this able to comment on the series of actions I have taken to fix this problem ?

Today I gave up on this washer and gave it away free to a person who was happy to have it even if it would only run the clothes thru the lowest spin speed. Hopefully they will be able to live with that aspect of operation. Goodbye Maytag Neptune. It was a good ride while it lasted .
joelgriffiths  
#169 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:14:35 AM(UTC)
joelgriffiths

I have a series 13 washer with the unbalanced load symptoms. When I disassembled the clutch, I found the spring bent completely out of shape. I straightened it out pretty well, cleaned the bearing, oiled them, and reassembled the clutch. It's still throwing a 'dc' error code. Can it be anything other than the clutch and the shocks? If not, can somebody tell me the correct part number for the clutch on a series 13 FAV6800AWW? Also, is there any possible way to just buy the spring?

Edit: I'm still not sure if it's the clutch or not. It seems to spin the tub in both directions but when I hold for a second during the spin cycle, it works decently. The clutch spins freely though and locks in the reverse direction so I'm thinking it's something else.
thorning  
#170 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:51:36 AM(UTC)
thorning

I am no expert but had an 8 year old Neptune TL I just gave away that had the unbalanced code. I took the clutch off and cleaned everything. Not much of any dirt and no water or oil leaks.. The parts such as the spring were not damaged. The one way bearing/sprag clutch setup was dirty and did not work properly. After cleanup it would work better but the problem was still present in that the washer would not spin out the water at the highest speed setting. I reduced the spin speed to the lowest setting and it would work OK. I worked on it for several days to get it to work on the high speed spin but finally gave up and bought a new Speed Queen old design top load. There was no problem with the struts by the way.