Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thorning  
#151 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 6:59:59 AM(UTC)
thorning

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
Try this http://www.applianceblog.com/manuals/16022808.pdf it will take right to the SM and you can save the PDF to your PC.

There is no back to this machine it’s a full shell sides and back front panel access only. The pic I attached is back when I pulled out the wash tub to do an Outer Tub bearing replacement. The drain pump is not placed in the machine for easy access.

Lets get the SM and try to try to turn on the drain pump in service mode and go from there. As Dave mentioned the impeller may be jammed on the drain pump.

The SM will help you get the front panel off from there access is tight. Just be careful when working on the machine and unplug the washer 120VAC line cord when inside the machine.

I went to Great Lakes for boot no A school right out of boot to the fleet. I went in as an ET with two years of tech school before enlisting. Some C schools for equipment specific training.

My duty was considered preferred sea duty. I was attached to Command Service Squadron 8 out of NOB Norfolk VA.

Good luck and let us know what we can do to help..........Dick

I have an 8 year old Neptune top load washer that has worked with absolutely no problems of any kind until last week. The machine stopped at 11 minutes before the end of the cycle which is just before it is supposed to go to the spin portion of the cycle. The wash load is exactly the same as we have done for many many years. The display shows a dc code but the load is not significantly unbalanced . I shut it down and rearranged the load and restarted it with the spin only command and after several tries I got it to spin the load /water out. The next load did the same thing but I ended up taking the clothes out which were wet and then set the control to spin only to get the water out. I read the details of problems of this type and it sounds like the clutch is at fault. The spinner reacts the way it always has which is to lock up one way and turn freely the other way. The bearings are getting noisy but not real bad yet. Can anyone tell me if I should spend the money to repair this or get a new machine.
The model number is FAV6800AWQ
serial number 15648163GA
We have run about 7 loads a week for the past 8 years and use high effeciency detergent.
Advice is urgently needed.
dh1200s  
#152 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:44:05 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Go up to the serach browser an type in dh1200s at the top of the list is a thread ""Maytag Neptune load unbalance"". I'm having you do that so you will see a collection of threads for the FAV6800A/FAV9800A machines i have posted.

Quick way is to just click on this URL
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/65487-maytag-neptune-load-unbalance.html

Follow the thread to remove the Clutch Pulley.

If your machine use the Upper One-Way bearing ring this will be a quick fix. If your series has the 2nd generation of outer tub design then this may not get you back in service.

You need to remove the clutch pulley and let us know if you use the Upper One way bearing ring on clutch pulley assembly of your machine.

You could replace the Clutch Pulley and see if that will get you back in service, that can be ordered from this site.

I will try to help but time is tight for me I have house damage from falling tree my house......ice storm here in S.E. Pa..........Dick
thorning  
#153 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:21:18 AM(UTC)
thorning

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear about your ice problem. We are also in the middle of repairing our house from the tornado damage of 11/17/13. We got hit pretty hard here in Washington, Illinois. Almost 1000 houses destroyed.
My question is do I have to completely dismantle the washer or can I get at the clutch parts from the bottom ? As I mentioned in my earlier entry the bearings are starting to get noisy. Do you think the cost of these parts plus the clutch is worth it or should I look for a cheaper older design washer on sale ?
DB App.  
#154 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 3:42:37 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry to hear about your ice problem. We are also in the middle of repairing our house from the tornado damage of 11/17/13. We got hit pretty hard here in Washington, Illinois. Almost 1000 houses destroyed.
My question is do I have to completely dismantle the washer or can I get at the clutch parts from the bottom ? As I mentioned in my earlier entry the bearings are starting to get noisy. Do you think the cost of these parts plus the clutch is worth it or should I look for a cheaper older design washer on sale ?

Bearings and seal ~ $ 65.00. Clutch ~ $ 100.00 to $ 225.00. not a hard fix if you have basic mechanical skills. Clutch will come out the bottom W/O tub or washer disassembly.... Front panel must be removed....
dh1200s  
#155 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:22:26 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Quote:
My question is do I have to completely dismantle the washer or can I get at the clutch parts from the bottom ?

You can pull the front cover off the machine follow the post for the details. You can remove the Clutch Pulley from the bottom of the machine. I have a bike lift that I put the machine on to work on it with roll around work stool&#8230;&#8230;.old guy.

Or lay the machine on it&#8217;s back as described in the Maytag Neptune load unbalance

Do you have the Service Manual for the machine? Not needed to pull the clutch pulley but a handy reference at times.

Quote:
As I mentioned in my earlier entry the bearings are starting to get noisy.
If you are handy a rebuild of the outer tub can be done as described in this thread. http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/washer-repair/167669-fav6800a-fav9800a-outer-tub-bearing-replacement.html

Every owner has to evaluate if that is the right path to go down.

If your machine uses the One-Way bearing above the Clutch Pulley this machine series is a bit easier to rebuild&#8230;&#8230;.my opinion. But as in this thread the machine series that uses a a combined One-Way bearing and standard bearing (CSK207 bearing type) in the Outer Tub lower bearing position can be rebuilt as some owners have had good success.

I have not tried that yet&#8230;&#8230;.I have a machine that sounds like a freight train coming down the hall way and will rebuild with CSK207 bearing in the near future. I have a spare machine I rebuilt that uses the One-Way bearing ring and will bring that up from the basement and place in service while I rebuild what I call the 2nd generation outer tub series machine type that will use a CSK207 bearing.

It comes down to a few factors&#8230;&#8230;..can you tolerate the down time and do you have the basic skill sets to take this on.

If you dive in I will try to help........Dick
dh1200s  
#156 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 7:28:45 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

DB APP. hows it going? Fell asleep for a while......... hit the send key without refreshing the machine.
thorning  
#157 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 5:01:12 AM(UTC)
thorning

Hello from Illinois,
If possible, I am going to buy a cheaper used washing machine to use for a while and either rebuild this myself or have a shop that sells and services Maytag repair our Neptune model. In our area our water/sewer charges are quite high so the savings over a std type of machine over 8 years has been about $290. If the repair cost is about $300 it should be worth it if I get another 8 years of use. I am leaning in the direction of buying a new Speed Queen machine if the repair is much more than $300. Any thoughts on this idea.
DB App.  
#158 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:51:49 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Originally Posted by: thorning Go to Quoted Post
Hello from Illinois,
If possible, I am going to buy a cheaper used washing machine to use for a while and either rebuild this myself or have a shop that sells and services Maytag repair our Neptune model. In our area our water/sewer charges are quite high so the savings over a std type of machine over 8 years has been about $290. If the repair cost is about $300 it should be worth it if I get another 8 years of use. I am leaning in the direction of buying a new Speed Queen machine if the repair is much more than $300. Any thoughts on this idea.

I think you are looking at ~ $200.00 minimum for parts at the retail level. I doubt you are going to get a drum overhaul done for less than $300.00 for labor???? Mine would still be going after its overhaul, but a thunderstorm took out both boards and I gave up on it at that point...
DB App.  
#159 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2014 3:54:40 PM(UTC)
DB App.

Originally Posted by: dh1200s Go to Quoted Post
DB APP. hows it going? Fell asleep for a while......... hit the send key without refreshing the machine.

I tried posting to a few other requests here on the boards and always received a "rejection notice" blocking the reply. I tried a few other posting options and was unsuccessful. Now all seems to be working well. Sorry to hear about the roof damage to your house. Take Care, Dave
thorning  
#160 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 11:53:25 PM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: DB App. Go to Quoted Post
I think you are looking at ~ $200.00 minimum for parts at the retail level. I doubt you are going to get a drum overhaul done for less than $300.00 for labor???? Mine would still be going after its overhaul, but a thunderstorm took out both boards and I gave up on it at that point...

As we needed to get our washing done I bought a new Speed Queen washer and put the Maytag in the garage. If we ever get back to normal in terms of weather I may try to repair it. If anyone out there wants a nice Neptune top load unit needing this type of repair let me know. We live in central Illinois near Peoria.