Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
david_tx  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:24:38 AM(UTC)
david_tx

Groups: Registered

Woke up yesterday morning and found items in Freezer side defrosted. It was cool but not cold enough to freeze items. Unplugged and cleaned dust and dirt in rear/squirrel cage and restarted, and ice cubes started forming and iced-up so freezer section was working fine. But came back in the evening same issue ice started melting, freezer section not cold enough. Unplugged it this morning for 1/2 hr and restarted, the ice cubes forming again and freezer appears to be working fine, will need to see how long it lasts. All the while Refrigerator side seems to cooling fine. Also fan ( in Freezer side) seems to running continuously.

Not sure if its a defrost problem or some thermostat or temp sensor is not working.

Diagnosis attempted: Reduced temperature setting from 7 to 1-2 but fan keeps running, fan does shut off when set to zero.

Please help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:29:17 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
david_tx  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:58:15 AM(UTC)
david_tx

I don't see any frost on the back wall. Fan on Freezer side still running.
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 12:11:31 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Can you remove the back wall from inside the freezer and see if the entire coil is covered with a light frost or just a small portion in the corner?
david_tx  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:46:02 PM(UTC)
david_tx

I removed the back wall, there is no frost. It has gone the stage where it cools ok for couple hours after restart, but stops cooling and fan keeps running. So it appears the defrost is working. Could it be an issues where it shut off and compressor is getting overheated but does not get reset for some reason and restart.
Appliance Ninja  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:48:09 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The fan will not run during the defrost cycle, so I suspect the compressor may be overheating and shutting off. If you remove the rear panel from the compressor area, can you see the fan that is mounted by the compressor running?
david_tx  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:10:53 PM(UTC)
david_tx

The fan near compressor area is working. I don't hear the compressor it has not come on yet, its been about 10 mins after I reconnected now, after checking rear panel for defrost.
Appliance Ninja  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:13:21 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

If that fan is running, the compressor should be running. Do you have a meter to test for voltage to the compressor?
david_tx  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:01:46 PM(UTC)
david_tx

Sorry I couldn't update sooner. The compressor is running, probably started-up after 20 mins once I plugged the unit back-on, but initially when plugged it back on only fan was running. The freezer side is now cold and seems to be working normally. My guess is, as before, it will work for a few hours but then cooling will reduce, and compressor does not get turned on to maintain temp in freezer side. Maybe compressor is getting overheated and shut-offs - is there a way to check for that?
david_tx  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:37:51 PM(UTC)
david_tx

Now since the freezer side is working, I removed the back wall again on inside of the freezer. There is frost on bottom 5 - 6 coils of the Evaporator (I assume it the evprtr, it has brush like bristles on it) . I did not see it earlier when I checked, probably because at that time the freezer was not cooling and compressor was off for a few hours, at that time the glass heater was hot, but not this time when I checked. thanks.