Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:29:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I do not have any specific instructions for this particular model because it is a bit different with all other from this series. On the other side I believe that you do not have to use any tools to clean the drain. Just a hair dryer and maybe a turkey baster should be enough.

Gene.
KLK123  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:53:21 AM(UTC)
KLK123

Groups: Registered

My Model number is 12569YEM0. Does anyone know of any site that I can get directions for removing the top drawer from the freezer? I tried the Maytag site but no luck.
Thanks!
Lois:confused:
Alan Sanders  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:15:52 PM(UTC)
Alan Sanders

Totally unnecessary taking freezer drawer and compartments off or out. Follow these steps:
1) pull fridge out and unplug from wall.
2) remove lower access panel screws and pull access panel away a few inches.
( note- not much space due to wiring harness going thru panel)
3)just to left of the compressor, you will see a small black plastic water shoot approx 7 inches long. Take an 8 inch piece of coat hanger or wire and bend at a 90 degree angle. Insert wire into drain hose at the top of the water shoot.
4) twist the wire or coat hanger until the water starts to flow freely.
5) put everything back together.

We followed others advice, took out the drawers and loosened the panel inside the freezer but couldn't see anything but the coil. The top drawer is tricky to get out and is not necessary if you follow the steps above.
Jane123  
#14 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48:34 AM(UTC)
Jane123

I have a maytag mff2558vem4 with the water leakage problem. Can I just turn off the refrigerator, unplug it and allow the freezer to defrost?
Jane123  
#15 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:48:36 AM(UTC)
Jane123

I have a maytag mff2558vem4 with the water leakage problem. Can I just turn off the refrigerator, unplug it and allow the freezer to defrost?
Joe LaChance  
#16 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 6:55:34 AM(UTC)
Joe LaChance

Originally Posted by: Alan Sanders Go to Quoted Post
Totally unnecessary taking freezer drawer and compartments off or out. Follow these steps:
3)just to left of the compressor, you will see a small black plastic water shoot approx 7 inches long. Take an 8 inch piece of coat hanger or wire and bend at a 90 degree angle. Insert wire into drain hose at the top of the water shoot.

We followed others advice, took out the drawers and loosened the panel inside the freezer but couldn't see anything but the coil. The top drawer is tricky to get out and is not necessary if you follow the steps above.

Alan,
Thanks for the best steps to fix this. I fumbled all over trying to fix this annoying problem on my 2 year old maytag (whirlpool, edsel, whatever it is!). You nailed the problem and the solution. Thanks for sharing! Regards, Joe
edpheil@gmail.com  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:52:56 AM(UTC)
edpheil@gmail.com

Originally Posted by: Alan Sanders Go to Quoted Post

I did the above but it was not enough. If there is ice on the bottom of the freezer compartment and it is leaking out the door, then the tray from which the tube drains is frozen over and won't let water even get to the tube. I also note my short tube was white but there was a small rubber boot on it to restrict airflow. When I pushed the hangar up it would not go through. You need to do both methods, aka front and back to be sure you clear it. Start with the front because that side takes the longest, but unplug it first.

1. Pull refridgerator out of hole. You need to be able to open upper doors completely to get freezer bins out, and need access to the back lower panel.
2. Empty stuff from all freezer drawers.
3. On top bins on the outer top edges there are clips running front to back. Squeeze these with water pump pliers or similar while pulling up on that edge.
4. Tilt bin up as much as possible toward center of fridge and manipulate and push on clip with finger on center side until you can get it loose. Repeat on other bin.
5. To remove lower bin open upper doors completely to give you more room when pulling lower bin out.
6. Use two flat head screwdrivers to pry on tabs on either left or right side tabs down on the inside of the bin. Pry out far enough to make sure you can see entire tip that sticks out to hold them in. I used two screwdrivers going in opposite directions so I could use one hand, for that then pull up on that edge of the bin to release it.
7. Pull bin up. You shouldn't need to do the tabs on the other side.
8. With upper doors open, twist lower drawer 90 degrees within the lower compartment to aligh narrow direction rather than original direction to be able to get it out. The drawer gets caught on the bottom draw outer face top and the opening top. To turn it 90 degrees you also need to hold in the slides. I did this myself, but with the upper doors, the twisting and not letting it drop back in and latch, and holding the slides, two people may be easier.
9. To Remove lower door and slides:
10. There are two white tabs at the very back inside of the slides. Push down on these. They will snap to the back of the fridge due to a spring.
11. Use a flat screw driver to push outward on a tab with two parallel plastic pieces about 8 inches forward and running forward to backward. Do this on both sides. Have someone support and pull straight out and not up or down on drawer while you keep the slides coming out at the same rate. They will come right out so support them. If center gear bar comes apart that is ok, just put it back in the hole/sleeve.
12. At this point you have full access to the freezer bottom. Break up ice on bottom or anywhere by banging on it with the PLASTIC head of the screw driver to prevent damage. Remove ice.
13. Technically this is all the further you realliy need to go taking things apart.
14. Get a hair dryer. About half way up the back inside the fridge there are openings in the bottom of the metal plate covering the coils. Use hair dryer pointing in these slots. there is a 3/8" high tray under the coils to catch the condensing water and the drain tube comes down from this tray out the bottom back of the fridge, but taking the freezer door slides (4 screws each) and loosening the back panel does not give good access anyway because the controls dont let the back panel come off, there is no finger room between the bottom of the coil fins and the tray, and both the closure panel bottom and the fins are very sharp. I cut my slelf 4 times and was being careful after the first cut. So dont bother.
15. The ice in the tray in the back behind the panel takes a long time. Get someone else to do this part if possible, while you do the original procedure given. Move the hair dryer back and forth pointing in the holes of the grill. Do not stay in one place very long because it will melt the plastic in that vicinity. Trust me, I melted a hole through my plastic by propping the dryer inside the back panel while I worked at the back of the fridge and will probably have to replace the fridge soon.
16. Make sure you can push the hangar up through the tube easily and continue with the hair dryer a long time you can do that because it takes a long time to melt that much ice. Alternatively you can just let it open for many hours to naturally thaw and drain. Periodically watch the tray in the bottom back left side where the water drains to and is evaporated to make sure it does not over flow. I used a dish towel to absorb it out of the tray, and wrung it out in the sink several times.
17. Dry inside of fridge.
18. Put everything back together in exactly in reverse. This is much easier. They just snap in, the slide/drawer face (make sure gear axel is together and use two people again), lower drawer at 90 degrees then turn and drop, upper bins get inside clips in first then drop in outer clips.

Note:. You can remove the electric cord in the back in that procedure given in some models because the cord is in a plastic penetrator and in a slot in the metal, but BE CAREFUL the metal is sharp. Grab the plastic on both the inside and outside of the metal.
rsromme  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 9:54:11 AM(UTC)
rsromme

I'm having the same problem with my Maytag refrigerator. Local service company said $500 to fix problem. It has leaked since it was new, but I always thought it was the ice maker. Disconnected ice maker and problem continued. Floor is ruined around right front side of unit. Happy to find this site. If it's a drain hole that is too small, why can't I drill out the drain plug?
kumatae  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:50:22 AM(UTC)
kumatae

I have a 2 year old MFX2570AEM4 and was wondering if this would solve my periodic leak from the bottom left corner of my fridge. I'm not sure if above possible solutions apply to me since I think my ice maker is near my water dispenser. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

How to Fix a Maytag Fridge's Freezer Leakage | Home Guides | SF Gate

UserPostedImage
sbinbc  
#20 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:19:56 AM(UTC)
sbinbc

We had this problem for about 2 years - a repair guy came and charged us hundreds od dollars for thawing everything out and unplugging the drain in the back, but in no time it would happen again. We found out there were two solutions - buy a replacement drain that was a revised shape or simply pull off the soft rubber tube in the back and cut a small "v" in to it so it would not close up. My husband and I did this ourselves (all through the back of the fridge) and we have not had a problem in 3 years! The issue is that the drainage tube gets gunked up and sticks together, which prevents the water from flowing in to the drain pan and instead it goes on to the freezer floor, and then on to your floor. Big design
flaw! There is a youtube video showing how to do this.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply