Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CECIL SEATON  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:53:31 PM(UTC)
CECIL SEATON

Groups: Registered

I have a Refrigerator with a pull out bottom freezer with an Ice maker, that is accumulating water in the freezer compartment floor. There is a depression in the freezer floor that collects water and freezes. I suppose it must be happening during a defrost cycle, although I don't see any leaks from the ice maker nor do I see any drains in that basin. I have to chip the ice out of there about once a week, if I don't water leaks out onto the floor and the water has already damaged the hardwood floor that the unit is sitting on.
It is a Maytag refer made by Whirlpool, the Model # is MFF2558VEM4. It is about 1 1/2 years old. It was bought at Sears.
My Name is:
Cecil S.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Cecil,

There is a drain for defrosted water inside the freezer, under the evaporator coils. This drain is definitely plugged and frozen.

Remove the freezer drawer as described in the User manual (page 8). Using a hair dryer defrost the ice on the bottom and the drain hole under the evaporator. Blow some air through the drain and run hot water to confirm it is open.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Maytag MFF2558VEM4 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
cjeanohio  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 3:03:07 PM(UTC)
cjeanohio

I have the same Maytag refrigerator and had the same problem. There is a little tiny drain plug with a pin-sized hole which constantly gets plugged. I kept thinking that it was the ice maker so I didn't turn it in until just after my warrantee expired. The service rep said that this model was defective and that Maytag came out with a slightly larger plug with a larger hole. He said that it is a pain to replace because he had to remove the bottom drawer; it took him about an hour and one-half. He said that Maytag should have recalled the part but since they were purchased, the new company has no customer service. I called Maytag and they said that "no one else has experienced this problem". Maytag had problems with dishwashers catching on fire (it's in Consumer Reports) even when they were not being used and it took an act of Congress to get them to issue a recall. Definitely not the company they used to be.
HeatherB  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:08:12 PM(UTC)
HeatherB

What can I do about it? I got Maytag because I thought they were good...but if they won't fix a flaw, it makes me wonder. I have the same model, also not even 2 years old, it didn't leak until a couple months ago.
Gene  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:25:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Would like to suggest, you start your own thread in the Refrigerator Repair section, using "Post New Topic".

People will then see it is someone with a problem.

This should increase your odds of getting a relevant reply.

Gene.
P.S. The complete model number will help as well.
KLK123  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:20:07 PM(UTC)
KLK123

I have the same problem with my Maytag Model MFI2569YEM. I am trying to fix it with the solution above but I am having trouble removing the top slide out drawer. I can not seem to remove the plastic glides from the sides of the freezer compartment. I have removed the door, the bottom drawer, the back panel and the front screws from the plastic glides for the top drawer but the back of the glides seem to turn at a right angle and insert into the side of the freezer compartment. I can not get them loose and I don't want to break them. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 12:39:23 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi,

What is the end of the model number?

Gene.
KLK123  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 20, 2013 6:02:59 PM(UTC)
KLK123

The last number in the model number is 0.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:03:02 PM(UTC)
Gene

You have to access the drain hole which is under the evaporator coils. You already removed the "back panel". Why do you want to remove all these parts?

Gene.
KLK123  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 7:41:35 PM(UTC)
KLK123

To be able to reach the drain. The top pull out drawer is in the way, so there is no way to get any tools in to reach the drain.