Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jimhokie  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:31:45 PM(UTC)
jimhokie

Groups: Registered

My wife noticed the dishwasher was running way longer than normal and stopped it. She said everything was too hot to touch and very dry, and dirt and soap seemed to be baked on the dishes.

I started it to test it, and it added some water, but seemed to not be enough--it didn't even cover the heating element, but it seemed to be spraying water. I wonder if it is not adding enough water, and the heating element dried it all out and continued to heat without water in it? But not sure why it would have kept running much longer than usual. Wouldn't failure to fill to a certain level prevent it from going to the next step in the cycle?

I had a pump fail about a year or two ago and found how to run a diagnostic test somewhere at that time, but am unable to find this info now. Can someone tell me how to run the diagnostic, or have other thoughts for what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jimhokie  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:12:32 PM(UTC)
jimhokie

OK, I remembered the technicians instructions were inside the bottom panel and found the diagnostic instructions. I ran it through a cycle, but wasn't really sure what to be looking for to know what it was telling me. How do I interpret the diagnostic?
jimhokie  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 6:31:53 AM(UTC)
jimhokie

Upon further investigation, I think there is not enough water being added at the beginning of the wash cycle, but not sure. Is it supposed to fill to cover the heater element? It is nowhere near the element if that is the case.

Does it fill until the float switch senses the proper level, then shut off the water valve? Or is the float switch just kick in to close the water inlet valve in the case of too much water being added? I.e., is the water inlet valve just supposed to open for a set time, and normally the water level won't reach the float switch?
jimhokie  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:36:01 AM(UTC)
jimhokie

More info: I ran a cycle and "tricked" it into adding more water than it was on it's own by canceling the cycle as soon as the initial fill stopped and the pump started up, but didn't let it drain, then restarted the cycle. I did this several times until the water level was well above the filter screen and covering almost the whole bottom of the washer. Then I let it run through it's normal wash cycle.

According to the technician instructions, a "high soil" cycle time is 84 minutes, and a "low soil" cycle time is 68 to 75 minutes. I stopped it after it had run for 95 minutes, and was still lighting the washing and sensing LEDs. There was no visible water in the bottom at this time, and the dishes were very hot and dry despite turning the "heated dry" off, like my wife noticed the first time she detected it running much longer than usual. I hit the cancel/drain button and looked into the sink drain to see how long it drained water. It took less than 10 seconds to drain what water was left in the washer.

So, does the initial fill of water get drained at some point, then refilled for a rinse cycle, and perhaps the inability to add sufficient water made it dry out too soon? And if it is just not getting enough water, why does it run longer than it should?

Another thing, I timed the initial fill time at about 45 seconds, but the technicians instructions says this should take 1:30 to 1:40. So that could explain why it's not getting enough water initially, but I'll check the inlet filter screen to see if it is clogged anyway. But again, if it is just not getting enough water, why does it run longer than it should?

I'm stumped...does anyone have any thoughts on what could be wrong, or what tests I can do to diagnose this?