Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dsteber  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 11:01:34 AM(UTC)
dsteber

Groups: Registered

Hello,

We noticed my dishwasher and counter top was very hot last night. We ran the thing that morning. The heater or whatever stayed on all day!! I shut it off at the breaker. We bought this in early 06 after hurricane katrina. They came out maybe in 07 to change a part because of some recall. I called them today about the issue and they have no record of it being recalled!! Go figure!! Do any of ya'll have an idea of what would cause this and what I should do to fix it? Thanks so much!!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:16:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Per the Maytag Technical Bulletin the correction is to replace the heating element and check the house wiring to the dishwasher for reversed polarity. Reversed polarity means: the house neutral wire is connected to the dishwasher hot wire and the house hot wire is connected to the dishwasher neutral wire.

- The heater Part number: AP4452252
dsteber  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:27:47 PM(UTC)
dsteber

Gene,

Thank you so much!!! I was just confused. I thought if the element was bad, it would not come on at all. The wiring should be ok, as that has not changed since I installed it. Do you think I should just order a new element and change it out? Man, I sure so appreciate your time and knowledge.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:26:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

You can check the heating element for continuity and each of its terminal to the ground, but this solution is recommended by Maytag and I know it is correct.

Quote:
...The wiring should be ok, as that has not changed since I installed it...

I would not rely on it. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Gene.
dsteber  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:29:22 PM(UTC)
dsteber

10-4. Thanks so much!!
dsteber  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:24:31 PM(UTC)
dsteber

Gene,

Well, no such luck. I changed the element and checked the wires. Black is hot going to black on the DW. White is neutral going to white. Turned the power on, and the element came on by itself. What about the thermostat? My luck it's a short in the main control panel. Thanks so much.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:50:04 PM(UTC)
Gene

It is very unusual for Maytag dishwashers, but sounds ls like the heater relay on the control board is shorted, especially if the old heating element passed the continuity test.

If you ordered the heating element from Appliance Parts Pros, they will take it back without any problems because of their very friendly return policy.

- The control board Part number: AP4009231
Part number: AP4009231

Gene.
dsteber  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:33:59 PM(UTC)
dsteber

Gene,

Is there any chance that you have the link to the service book for my DW? The one you sent earlier in our conversation was for different models. I have a Maytag MDB8951AWS. I sure do appreciate it!
dsteber  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 4:07:18 AM(UTC)
dsteber

Thanks Gene. I replaced the board, and there was a burn mark on the back of it by the heater relay.
dsteber  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:42:14 PM(UTC)
dsteber

Hi Gene!! Are you still on the net? I have another issue!! Changed out the board in 2010. It quit the other day mid cycle. Nothing works on it, like it has no power. However, my disposal is on the same line and works. Breaker is good. Is there a fuse or something internal somewhere? Thanks so much!!!