Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mrhoagie  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:46:58 PM(UTC)
mrhoagie

Groups: Registered

Neighbor gave this side x side to me 13 years ago. 2 days ago fridge temp steady at 56 degrees Freezer Zero degrees. No frost in freezer, defrost cycle active. Freezer fan works. Coolant coils clean No blockage from freezer to fridge. A dial sets aperture size between freezer and fridge. There is a lever to control an opening next to the vegetable bin for more or less cold air. Defrost cycle appears to function properly over last 48 hours.

Is there an airflow pattern from the top of freezer into the fridge and from the bottom of fridge next to veg. bins back to freezer that may be blocked?

What forces the cold freezer air to move into the fridge? The fan at the top of freezer feels as if pushing air toward aperture opening between freezer and fridge, but

I can feel no air flow into fridge.

Stumped, thankful for the cold outside for assistance for now.

Allen
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:42:02 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

The freezer control opens and closes the flappers between the two sections. If you have an even very thin coat of white frost on all the evaporator coils, replace the cold control. Part# WR9X5131
mrhoagie  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:04:42 AM(UTC)
mrhoagie

OK, I plead ignorance, where are the evaporator coils on this unit, behind the freezer fan?

Allen

Originally Posted by: rickgburton Go to Quoted Post
The freezer control opens and closes the flappers between the two sections. If you have an even very thin coat of white frost on all the evaporator coils, replace the cold control. Part# WR9X5131
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:37:48 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Below the fan behind the freezer section back wall.
mrhoagie  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:51:48 AM(UTC)
mrhoagie

Rick,

The coils are loaded with frost! and the drain line full of frozen water and ice on the very bottom shelf.

Did the temperature control (part number you recommend for replacement) affect the defrost cycle leading to the freeze up? or temperature regulation in general lead to freeze up?

Since the freezer is cold at 0F, is the air going into the fridge section restricted from flowing because the circulation is blocked by ice buildup in the drain, leading to frost on the coils?

Is the temperature control located in the fridge section behind the dial control knob..with the numbers attached?
rickgburton  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:01:12 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Originally Posted by: mrhoagie Go to Quoted Post
No frost in freezer, defrost cycle active. Defrost cycle appears to function properly over last 48 hours.

OK, we better start over. The defrost system is not working. Make sure the unit is plugged in and running. Remove the lower kick plate. Locate the defrost timer and bracket front center. Use a flat blade screwdriver to slowly advance it, one click at a time until the refrigerator turns off. You're in a defrost cycle. See if the defrost heater(s) on the evaporator turn on. If they do replace the defrost timer Part# WR9X362. If the defrost heater(s) does not turn on you'll need a VOM to check the defrost thermostat (Part# WR50X0035) and defrost heater(s) (Part# WR51X0231) for continuity. Check the defrost thermostat while it's frosty. It needs to be below 40*F to show continuity. If either one shows 1 or infinite resistance, replace it. If they both check good, replace the defrost timer.
mrhoagie  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 11:29:59 AM(UTC)
mrhoagie

Found the defrost control. I turned it about 1/8" or less. There were no clicks or notches in turning. The freezer fan stopped operation after it clicked off. If the defrost heater comes on the light frost on the evaporator coils should melt away?

Found the defrost thermostat, red circular object about 5/8" thick and held on to the evaporator coil with a wide flat spring around the unit top and the evaporator coil bottom. The defrost heater is attached by two screws and easily removed.

I do not have a VOM meter. Where do I place the red/black probes when checking? Color matter in placement or am I looking just for a connection between the two or should there be a reading of ohms/volts to go by?
rickgburton  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:01:29 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

The kick plate below the doors. Look for a bunch of wires.
mrhoagie  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:17:16 PM(UTC)
mrhoagie

Found the defrost control. I turned it about 1/8" or less. There were no clicks or notches in turning. The freezer fan stopped operation after it clicked off in turning clockwise. If the defrost heater comes on the small amount of frost on the evaporator coils should melt away?

Found the defrost thermostat, red circular object about 5/8" thick and held on to the evaporator coil with a wide flat spring around the unit top and the evaporator coil bottom. The defrost heater is attached by two screws and easily removed.

I do not have a VOM meter. Where do I place the red/black probes when checking? Color matter in placement or am I looking just for a connection between the two or should there be a reading of ohms/volts to go by?

mrhoagie  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:20:33 PM(UTC)
mrhoagie

When freezer fan is off the defrost cycle is active, correct? The frost on the evaporator coils should go away now if the defrost heater is working by being told to do so by the defrost thermostat..Yes?

Either the defrost thermostat or defrost heater may be bad. Since the defrost timer went off with a small clockwise turn it may or may not be operating OK?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply