Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
missalive  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 7:02:17 AM(UTC)
missalive

Groups: Registered

Had a pool of water on the floor when I came home. Freezer had defrosted and frig was warm. It was running and light on, but just stopped cooling. Need to know if a 9 year old frig is worth repairing, and approx. how much, if you know?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jdrepair  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 7:40:08 AM(UTC)
jdrepair

Was the light on with the door closed? Also, pull the back panel in freezer and see if the lines are cold. Really cold. Report back and we'll go from there.
missalive  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 8:04:15 AM(UTC)
missalive

No the light was not on with the door closed (to my knowledge) but I guess it would have shined out into the room, right? When I pulled it out from the wall, it was not cold on the back at all. I have had it unplugged so it would fully defrost (and it did), but I will need to plug it back in?
jdrepair  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 8:15:22 AM(UTC)
jdrepair

In reference to the light, it should go out. You can test this by plugging in the fridge and opening the door and depress the light switch using your finger and observe if the light goes out or not. Do this for the freezer and the fridge. Then leave it plugged in for about an hour and then remove the back panel inside the freezer and feel of the aluminum evaporator coils. Do they have any frost on them? Also, as you wait for the fridge to run for that hour, check to see if the compressor is running. Put you hand on if and see if its warm and vibrating. If may take few minutes to kick on. If it never runs then you don't need to pull the panel on the coils.
jdrepair  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 8:22:33 AM(UTC)
jdrepair

Freezer compartment replacement parts for Maytag MSD2454GRQ REF - SXS/I&W | AppliancePartsPros.com

The above link may help you. The panel I'm referring to is number 20 in the diagram.
missalive  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 8:56:47 AM(UTC)
missalive

Well, the light goes out with the finger test on both freezer and frig sides. I have had it plugged in since I replied back to you...almost an hour...and the compressor has never kicked in. I did locate the panel in the back of the freezer, but haven't pulled it. thanks a lot for your help
jdrepair  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 9:30:12 AM(UTC)
jdrepair

OK. This could be a couple of things that can be simple to narrow down. First, is the fan running in the freezer? Is the compressor hot to the touch? Are any fans running? Also, just to make sure, the temperature control knobs are set appropriately, right?
missalive  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 9:39:56 AM(UTC)
missalive

Yes, the fan is running in the freezer. I believe the fan is running on the frig side. No, the compressor is not hot to the touch. Yes, the temperature controls are set just as they were when it was working, but I did recheck. lol