Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StaTiK  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 1:12:12 PM(UTC)
StaTiK

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a front-loading Frigidaire FTFB4000FS1 which was purchased around 2007. It worked well for about 2 years, then went into storage for about 2 years while living in an apartment, and now is hooked back up again. However, after the first few loads clothes starting coming out sopping wet. After 1-2 additional trips through the spin-only cycle they became appropriately dry. I then ran a load and watched the whole thing (boring). It processed through the wash cycle and drained perfectly but then did nothing for a few minutes and then shut off, completely skipping the rinse and spin cycles. There was no humming or sound of any kind... just silence like it was about to start the next cycle but never did. Later, I tried again using the permanent press mode, and this time it performed the wash, drain, and rinse cycles but still didn't spin. I read the manual and put it in diagnostic mode (where it performs the functions but is manually advanced by turning a knob) and every function appeared to work perfectly. Cold water fill, hot fill, tumble/agitate, drain, and spin all worked perfectly. The spin was also incredibly fast and with no wobble so I don't think it is a belt/motor/balance issue. The diagnostic mode was performed with clothes still in it from the previous attempts, so I don't think it is an over/under fill issue. In fact, if I had the time I could wash my laundry using only the diagnostic mode to manually advance through the program, but that is obviously not the preferred solution.

** I want to reiterate that the high-speed spin functions perfectly in diagnostic mode; it spins amazingly fast and there is no grinding, squeaking, rubbing, or wobbling.

The washer does work perfectly in "Delicate" and "Hand Wash" modes. Any other mode ends in only a couple of minutes and results in sopping wet clothes, often with water still in the bottom of the tub. My non-professional opinion is that it is likely either a door sensor or a pump sensor; I think something is not telling the computer that it is safe to go into high-speed spin.

Please help. My son uses cloth diapers and "Handwash" mode just isn't enough...

- the washing machine does engage the "door lock", which can be heard engaging immediately I selecting a mode and pressing Start. The door is locked, too, as I cannot physically open it and the door lock light turns on appropriately on the display.
- the tub does tumble/agitate fine during the wash cycles.
- the tub does drain after the wash cycle. It forcefully shoots the water faster than a typical garden hose does.
- it doesn't spin whatsoever in the spin mode unless in Delicate or Handwash mode. There is absolutely no movement and absolutely no sound during the spin cycle in "Normal" "Heavy" or "Permanent press" modes.
- after a Heavy/Normal/Permanent-Press mode it is hard to tell if the water in the bottom of the basin is from an incomplete drain cycle, or whether the sopping clothes just sat long enough to let gravity pull some of the water out.
- I tested the resistances at the motor terminals using a digital multimeter and they match what the manual said they should be.
- I tested the resistance of the Door Lock Solenoid. It measured 1413ohms and was supposed to measure 1325 ohms +-10% so it is within spec.
- I have had the machine apart to inspect for frayed wires, random socks jammed in belts/gears, etc. I found nothing out of the ordinary. I there was a penny in the filter inside the rubber boot attached to the pump, but I removed it and I doubt it caused the problem.

** I tried to measure the resistance of the pump motor but was not able to. My digital multimeter would not settle on a reading and bounced from "open" to 2kohm, to 1Mohm, etc. Perhaps I'm not using the correct location; I'm checking the resistance between the only two electrical terminals that I can find (unplug the only wiring harness and then measure resistance between the two metal posts that the wires touched).

Does this mean that the pump is the problem, even though it works fine in diagnostic mode and in Delicate/Handwash mode?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 5:32:38 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

In your situation the chance is about even: the door latch or the control board.(Well - the harness too). So check all the plugs and wires and start with the door latch - it's cheaper.

The door latch Part number: 131763202
Part number: 131763202

The control board Part number: 137005000
Part number: 137005000

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Frigidaire FTFB4000FS1 Frigidaire/washer | AppliancePartsPros.com

Thank you. Post the results.

Simon.
StaTiK  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:58:57 PM(UTC)
StaTiK

first, thank you for the help provided to date.

Update: well the repair parts worked, kind of. The door latch seemed to have no effect, but replacing the control board (FRIGIDAIRE 137005000 Control Board, AP4354654 | AppliancePartsPros.com) works intermittently.

To summarize: delicate and handwash cycles still end with clothes appropriately dry. All other cycles (normal, heavy, etc) often end with clothes sopping wet and need a "Drain-Spin" cycle but not always. The Drain-Spin cycle works well now, as does Rinse-Spin.

I now think the problem may be a weight sensor, if there is one. When I use the Normal or Heavy settings: "heavy" loads like towels never get a spin cycle while lighter fabrics like t-shirts usually do get a spin cycle. However, I have not been able to isolate the problem and figure out if a certain lesser amount of towels works reliably. Also, I am not overloading the washer per the manufacturer's instructions; the clothes are loosely loaded and not packed tight, and loads that definitely worked fine before no longer work.

I am so frustrated I am considering just returning the parts and purchasing a whole new washer.

I have tried the door latch (listed above), the control board (listed above), and the control board (manufacturer part #134743500) as well as combinations and all three simultaneously.

Please help.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:00:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: StaTiK Go to Quoted Post
...All other cycles (normal, heavy, etc) often end with clothes sopping wet...

Which spin speed option did you select?

You may want to run the diagnostic test, as described in the tech sheet, again because of the new control board. Especial attention should be on any possible error code. Post the results.

Gene.
StaTiK  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:57:48 PM(UTC)
StaTiK

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Which spin speed option did you select?

You may want to run the diagnostic test, as described in the tech sheet, again because of the new control board. Especial attention should be on any possible error code. Post the results.

Gene.

Thank you for the reply Gene. I've used spin speeds "High" and "Med" but neither work reliably using Heavy, Normal, or Perm Press settings. Delicate and Handwash still work fine. Rinse/Spin and Drain/Spin work fine now, even with high speed spin. I don't understand why though.

I ran the diagnostic test again and the error code received is 59 (5 LEDs flash 5 times and the Start LED flashes 5 plus an additional 4 flashes).

During the diagnostic test everything seemed normal still. I cycled through all nine settings and the washer filled normally, drained normally, and spun normally. Any ideas?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:15:44 PM(UTC)
Gene

This error code refers to test #12. Perform this test as described in the tech sheet and post the results.

Gene.
StaTiK  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:47:42 PM(UTC)
StaTiK

This error code refers to test #12. Perform this test as described in the tech sheet and post the results.

Gene.

As always, I am very thankful for you taking the time to help diagnose my problem Gene.

I apologize if I was unclear but I did this before my first post, but I will gladly do it again since I did change some components.

Test #12 results: (removed belt)
- Does the motor spin free? Yes, very smooth.
- Does the tub spin free? Yes, very smooth.
- Measure resistance between pins 4 & 5 on the motor: 120ohms (good per the manual) assuming pins 4&5 are the ones closest to the center of the machine. There is some confusion here because I'm not sure exactly which pins are #4-5 because they're obviously not numbered and I don't see a pinout diagram. There are only five pins so it depends on which way you count from. The gray and white wires (closest to the center of the machine) have a resistance of 120ohms, while the red and orange wires (furthest from the center of the machine) have a resistance of 5ohms.

Either way, if the resistance is "correct" then the solution per the manual is to replace the "speed control board", which I did (see posts above) without success. If the resistance measured is "incorrect" then the solution is to replace the motor... is that really a possibility? Please remember that it does the high-speed spin in diagnostic mode just fine, and does spin appropriately in delicate and hand wash modes (fast but obviously not as fast as in Normal/Heavy modes).

Thanks a ton for your help, and that goes for anyone else who took the time to read this far too!
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:17:08 PM(UTC)
Gene

You missed step #4 in the test #12.

Gene.
StaTiK  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 4:09:54 PM(UTC)
StaTiK

You missed step #4 in the test #12.

Gene.

Sorry about that!

Pin 1-2: 5.5ohm
Pin 1-3: 5.5ohm
Pin 2-3: 5.5ohm

Any recommendations?
Gene  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:08:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Well. Everything is leading to a bad motor speed control board. The control board you already replaced is the main control board. If you ordered it from APP and you would not need it, then you definitely can return it.

- The motor speed control board Part number: 134743500
Part number: 134743500

Gene.