Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jamosby@aimint.net  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 1, 2012 9:34:22 AM(UTC)
jamosby@aimint.net

Groups: Registered

We work in Kenya; Bought this Maytag S/N B8900855HU, Export, 240 - 50Hz new in '94 for export, used in Nairobi, Kenya to date, with problems only recently.

See attached photo, I ordered an export 240/50Hz replacement motor, P/N AP4009586 (12002352) and it is not a direct fit. I tried briefly hooking up wire for wire, and it does not spin, just locks up. Timer for this model, P/N AP4023995 (207420) was not available, wondering if there is a timer that will work with this motor. I had it in Kenya, but have come back briefly and brought this replacement motor with me in case I need to exchange it.

Really like the washer, a bit old, but still in great shape otherwise, wanted to fix if possible. Shipping a new one to Kenya is very expensive!!
jamosby@aimint.net attached the following image(s):
IMG_4053e.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2012 11:54:44 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
JA,

You do have the correct part numbers, based on the model and serial number you supplied.

The

Part number: ap4009586

single speed washer motor is a direct replacement for the original motor in your washer. The motor switch has been revised, and the manufacturer, supplies the wire harness"jumper" which is a wire color for wire color connection. You do have to remove the motor pulley, and tension springs, you can then remove the four mounting nuts, holding the motor to the top portion of the motor slide assembly.

The Timer

Part number: ap4023995

Has not been discontinued, so it is available, but it is a "special order" item and takes two(2) to four(4) weeks to recieve. So if you do need a part, you're doing OK.

Would you please explain what " just locks up " means, does the motor hum, makes no noise at all, motor smokes, etc. ? The information will help a lot. It could be as simple as something stuck between the tubs. You didn't mention if the washer would agitate(wash), or not, or if you noticed the washer leaking water.
Hopefully, we can get enough information, so we can direct you to the possible issues and parts needed(if any) before you return.

Thanks,
jamosby@aimint.net  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:46:43 PM(UTC)
jamosby@aimint.net

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
JA,

You do have the correct part numbers, based on the model and serial number you supplied.

The

single speed washer motor is a direct replacement for the original motor in your washer. The motor switch has been revised, and the manufacturer, supplies the wire harness"jumper" which is a wire color for wire color connection. You do have to remove the motor pulley, and tension springs, you can then remove the four mounting nuts, holding the motor to the top portion of the motor slide assembly.

The Timer

Has not been discontinued, so it is available, but it is a "special order" item and takes two(2) to four(4) weeks to recieve. So if you do need a part, you're doing OK.

Would you please explain what " just locks up " means, does the motor hum, makes no noise at all, motor smokes, etc. ? The information will help a lot. It could be as simple as something stuck between the tubs. You didn't mention if the washer would agitate(wash), or not, or if you noticed the washer leaking water.
Hopefully, we can get enough information, so we can direct you to the possible issues and parts needed(if any) before you return.

Thanks,

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input. I did have an appliance guy in Kenya assisting. He hooked up the new motor with the wires matched color for color using the new harness supplied. He did not mount the motor at first, but hooked up electrically. Then he turned the selector to regular wash, and pulled it on just momentarily, but the motor did not spin, it just locked and hummed. So he said that since the switch was different, it was not compatible. We did not have it on more than a couple seconds, so the motor was not damaged, but it would not spin.

Unfortunately, he did not do further troubleshooting. I had understood the timer was currently unavailable. If it is available, I would like to order one, to have the best chance of getting the machine running again. The only other note I would make is the old set of belts were sometimes slipping, so I first ordered a set of belts from another web site, and they were not the correct p/n. So they fit, but very tight. That was in early Dec. last year, and we went away for the rest of the month, leaving house help. I think the machine stalled, not sure if tight belts can cause that. But the old motor smoked, as our house help (a Kenyan lady) did not know what the humming was when the motor stalled. So, I actually don't know the cause of that.

Does that give enough clues for you to guess what may have happened to this 18yr old machine?