Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roscoepcoltrain  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:55:32 AM(UTC)
roscoepcoltrain

Groups: Registered

Maytag washer quit spinning or agitating this morning. The motor will "hum" when either are engaged. So I took the front panel off and drained the water and removed the cloths. When I now engage the spin cycle the basket will begin to spin for about 5 secs. A click can be heard (sounds like a breaker) and the unit will cut off. There is a slight smell of rubber/electrical that follows. After a minute or so you hear another click and the process can be repeated if wanted. I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:04:19 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Hi,

See if you can turn the pump pulley easily by hand. Maybe something is stuck in the pump.
roscoepcoltrain  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 6:18:45 AM(UTC)
roscoepcoltrain

Originally Posted by: ApplianceJunk Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

See if you can turn the pump pulley easily by hand. Maybe something is stuck in the pump.

Both belts move easily in both directions. Do not know if it should or not but motor pulley will not turn by hand. With spin cycle engaged, motor hums, after a few seconds "breaker" kicks motor off, I see a small amount of smoke off top of motor. If left on it will reset itself after maybe a minute and repeat. Is the motor seized up by chance? Thanks!
roscoepcoltrain  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:00:04 AM(UTC)
roscoepcoltrain

Gave it another look. I took the pump belt off so I could get my hands on the motor pulley easier. It was pretty stiff at first but began to turn freely after a few tries. I put the washer in the spin cycle empty and it worked fine. I then put it into a small wash cycle w/o cloths, fine again. So added the cloths back from earlier & put it on a large load and let it go. It has now made its way to the spin cycle with no issue. So, I have no idea if I have an issue on the horizon or what??? But right now it is working. :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply