Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<2627282930>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#271 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 12:10:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi David,

The only part in the defrost system which can have an intermittent problem is the defrost timer. In the situation you described, I would replace it first. The defrost thermostat could do it too, but it is much rare.

- The part number for the defrost timer is AP2111929

Gene.
davidlwallace  
#272 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 2:50:00 PM(UTC)
davidlwallace

Groups: Registered

Thank Gene; I ordered a defrost timer yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. If that's not it, I'll call again; otherwise, thanks a lot. David
Gene  
#273 Posted : Monday, February 9, 2009 3:37:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
bdaz1  
#274 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:47:55 AM(UTC)
bdaz1

Gene,

I have a similar problem but suspect a different cause. With my refrigerator and freezer temperature controls set at the manufacturers recommended settings, my frig temp is about 40F-45F and the freezer is 0F-10F. If I lower the frig temp setpoint, it also raises my freezer temp. With both controls at the lowest settings, my frig runs 30f-35F but the freezer runs 20F-25F (also notice some condensation on the top and right inside panels of the freezer at this point). What temperatures are acceptable for both compartments? I've not seen any frost on the inside rear panel of the freezer so I don't suspect the defrost components are bad and I've checked for blockages in the air ducts and it's clear. Could this be a thermostat problem? Something else? Any help is appreciated.
Gene  
#275 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:26:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

bdaz1,

The evaporator (aka a cooling) coil is located in the freezer. The fresh food compartment cools down with the air flow from the freezer. The thermostat reads the temperature in the fresh food compartment only.

When you manipulate with the fresh food temperature knob you adjusting the thermostat. When you do the same thing with the freezer knob you adjusting the cold air flow into the fresh food compartment.

You have to adjust only one knob at a time and wait about 24 hours to see the result.

Set the freezer control in the middle position and do all further adjustments with the refrigerator control only.

The normal temperature in the freezer is about 0°F and in the refrigerator between 36°F and 40°F. You also can control it looking at milk (stays good till expiration date) in the refrigerator and ice cream (stays firm) in the freezer.

Gene.
bdaz1  
#276 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:04:36 AM(UTC)
bdaz1

Thanks Gene. I'll try that and see what happens.
Gene  
#277 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:56:56 AM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. Keep us posted.

Gene.
bdaz1  
#278 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 10:45:26 AM(UTC)
bdaz1

OK. With Freezer control at the recommended setpoint (midpoint) & refrigerator (T-Stat) control near its lowest setpoint, the freezer is 0F and the refrig is 35F. It seems VERY sensitive. Moving the thermostat up halfway to the next warmer setting puts the freezer at 20F and refrig at 44F. Any reason for concern in having to maintain the thermosat so near its lowest setting? It never was that way in the past. Why the sudden change (or maybe I just noticed it)? The refrigerator is only about 7 years old.
Gene  
#279 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 1:37:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Remove the cover on the back of the fridge and clean the condenser coil. Make sure the fan motor next to the compressor runs fine.

If there is nothing wrong then the thermostat might be a culprit.

- The part number for the thermostat is AP3133073

Gene.
bdaz1  
#280 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 6:16:37 AM(UTC)
bdaz1

Gene,
I had previously cleaned the condenser coils. I have heard a "twang" noise once in a while when the condenser fan runs. It seems to be from the slight movement of the fan blade along the motor shaft as I was able to duplicate it manually when I spin the fan (unit unplugged , of course). I also noted that the fan occationally comes on and goes right off a couple times in a succession when I hear that noise most often. When I lower the thermostat, the fan comes on and the frig runs. However, it SEEMS each time I do that, I near the end of the lowest thermostat setting as the temp inside increases? I see from the parts list that there are two parts for the compressor: one is part 4387766 called "Overload Service (includes relay)" and part 2212963 called "Start-Device Combination (Start Relay and Overload for Production Compressor Only)". Could one of these components be possibly failing/overheating and causing the compressor to run for a while and then quit? Would it then automatically reset (if thermal) and allow it to restart? I know the refrigerator is capable of 0F freezer and 35F fresh food (at least until I adjusted the frig temp up) based on temps I had a couple days ago. Thanks much for your assistance on this!
UPDATE: 8PM - With freezer control half way and refrigerator (T-stat) at lowest setting, temps now -3F freezer, 32F frig. (Thermostat does seem "sensitive")