Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<910111213>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dh1200s  
#101 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:36:38 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Groups: Registered

""The tub seal sleeve must spin in the tub seal as the spinner plate rotates and this grease there to lubricate that joint over time. ""

That is how I see it to work as the the guys in this thread mentioned.

""This doesn't seem to make sense as I would think that the tub water would wash this grease away relatively quickly.""

Same here I'm not sure what they are saying. I think a very light coat where I point too in the second pic. See my note on the second point of grease on the Spinner Support Shaft.

I feel the grease they show would help aid the Spinner Support to seat down into the tub seal sleeve......that's how I see it. I got a little packet of grease with the Tub Seal that came with a *-bay Spinner Support I picked up for $40 and I used that.

""I am guessing any waterproof lithium grease would work. Do you agree?""

I agree.

""That same drawing, #4 (permalink), also mentions "transfer grease from the original Spinner Support Shaft" but there is very little grease to "transfer". This seems like an odd instruction.""

Yep I had a slight coating on the Spinner Support Shaft as see in the Pic of mine on the work bench. Use a little/light coat of W/P Lith Grease. See my note on the Spinner Support pic.

When the other forum members cleaned up the Spinner Support they use a little Vaseline on that Tranny O-Ring.

Wish I could expand more but I was own my own when I did this. Maybe a forum repair tech will jump in with a comment.

I almost ordered this stuff (Center Seal Grease) 2nd pic.

I feel you will be OK with light coat of W/P Lith Grease . The Tub Seal you received should be well greased..........Dick
dh1200s attached the following image(s):
Center Seal Grease.jpg
Spinner Support Plate 2.jpg
mflorkie  
#102 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:12:13 PM(UTC)
mflorkie

I soaked all of the parts after removing them in my tub with a bleach solution to kill the mold. I can't remember if the transmission assembly had any liquid in it when I pulled it out. My wife said that it was "bubbling" like it was filling up??? Is there an easy way to drain it if it needs to be dry?
dh1200s  
#103 Posted : Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:06:14 PM(UTC)
dh1200s

Originally Posted by: mflorkie Go to Quoted Post
I soaked all of the parts after removing them in my tub with a bleach solution to kill the mold. I can't remember if the transmission assembly had any liquid in it when I pulled it out. My wife said that it was "bubbling" like it was filling up??? Is there an easy way to drain it if it needs to be dry?

The tranny is oil filled. If there was a leak I feel you would see oil stains on your wash load.

From the Service Manual page 19

""The Transmission should be approx. 1/3 full of oil. The oil in the
Transmission should be thick, similar to a high viscosity motor oil. Tip the Transmission slightly, the oil should move slowly. If the Transmission is nearly full or if the fluid is very thin and moves quickly, the Transmission has water in it.""

Did you do a Outer Tub rebuild or just clean up of mold in the inner tub?

Dick
robksu  
#104 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 7:21:27 AM(UTC)
robksu

mflorkie,

The transmission should not have any water inside. When I had my machine apart, I shook my transmission and couldn't tell there was any fluid inside. The oil is so thick that it will not move quickly. The housing is somewhat translucent so I held it up to a light and could see the oil flowing back and forth. The oil was mostly clear and moved very slowly. This is how I believe it should be. If you hear water sloshing around then I believe you have a leak in the the transmission. I don't know of a way to repair it so I believe it would need to be replaced.

That being said, Dick has mentioned several times that he has not heard of a transmission failure throughout several different forums. I also believe that there is a 10yr warranty on the transmission.

Hope this helps
Rob
dh1200s  
#105 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 11:07:16 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

How's the rebuild going Rob?

Dick
robksu  
#106 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2011 9:07:24 PM(UTC)
robksu

Hey, Dick
I finished the rebuild over the weekend but hadn't been online until today. The machine is working great. It easily passed the Quick Spin diagnostic test as well as the Quick Service Cycle test with flying colors. The broken spinner bolts and the delay in getting parts due to the Thanksgiving holiday weekend made the project longer than I or, more importantly, my wife would have liked. That being said, it was back up and running in less than 2 weeks which isn't bad considering all of the delays. The washer has been working overtime to catch up on the piles of laundry and its working great. My wife has commented about how much quieter it is now. Those bearings must have really been grinding toward the end.

Below are some notes and a few pictures from the tear-down and rebuild. Hopefully they will come in useful to others in the future.

Once I removed the transmission, it was clear that the tranny O-ring seal had failed. The first picture shows the water/corrosion/rust within the spinner support shaft. This area should be dry and free of moisture.
I used an improvised spinner nut removal method since I didn’t have the custom tool mentioned in the service manual. As shown in the second picture, I used a well sized socket placed in the clutch pulley upper bearing coupler slot to prevent the spinner nut from rotating. With a crescent wrench and cheater bar (old 3’ piece of 1” aluminum tubing) I turned the spinner support shaft to loosen the nut. This method worked well but see my lessons learned note below.

The third picture shows the outer tub seal after I removed the spinner support shaft. There is clearly moisture beyond this seal as well. Rust is visible on the top of the outer tub upper bearing. Interestingly none of these bearing are the reason the machine stopped working. The two outer tub bearings and the two spinner shaft bearings were still operational although they have clearly been damaged by both the tranny O-ring and outer tub seal leaks. It was a matter of time before these bearings failed as well. The cause of my failure symptom was that these leaks made their way down to the two one-way clutch pulley bearings which had seized up preventing the tub from turning during the spin cycle. I point this out because if I had decided to get the unit back in service by just replacing the clutch pulley assembly, I would be tearing it apart again to fix the real cause once the other bearings finally failed.

The next few photos show the corrosion on the spinner support as well as rust on the agitator shaft. All four of the bearings showed some sign of rust. I cracked open one of the larger outer tub bearings. As you can see from the photo, the teal-blue grease is still present but there is also rust beginning to form inside of the bearing. This teal-blue grease is what Dick initially noticed in an early photo I took of the spinner nut after I removed the clutch pulley.

Next was the cleanup. I let the spinner support dry over night and then used a wire brush drill attachment to remove 95% of the corrosion. The next two photos show the areas of most concern which are the two areas where the water-tight seals are supposed to be made. On the top size, it is the groove where the tranny O-ring sits and on the bottom side, it is the fillet and shaft where the tub seal and sleeve mate. In these locations I used a wire brush attachment on a rotary Dremel tool to remove the rest. The rotary tool did a great job of cleaning those interfaces and the fine wires of the attachment actually polished the surface pretty well. Once clean, it was clear that there was significant pitting in the aluminum of the spinner support shaft fillet area. This appears like it was from the original casting tool. I wonder if this is part of the reason for the tub seal failure. A worn casting tool may have compromised these seals on a lot of these machines.

After seating the new bearings, I applied the recommended waterproof lithium grease to the spinner support fillet at tub seal mating area. On the outer tub side of the mating interface, I took the recommendation of a few earlier posters who recommended using Vaseline to improve the water tightness of the interface. I also applied Vaseline to the O-ring groove of the spinner support and it’s mating surface underneath the transmission.
Final reassembly of the outer tub and spinner support through the clutch pulley and tumblers took only about an hour. I plugged it in, ran the Quick Spin diagnostic test and it ran flawlessly. It quietly reached its max RPM of 850 with an empty tub and very little wobble. Mission accomplished!

I did note a few lessons learned from the project:

• An impact wrench really did the trick on the spinner bolts. Even though two of them broke, with the amount of corrosion I had, it was really the only way to get them out. The right tools make all the difference.
  • I initially ordered the wrong O-ring. The correct OEM part number for the tranny O-ring is 25001105. I incorrectly ordered another O-ring that shows up on the part list. The parts diagrams show the one I ordered by mistake goes between the clutch pulley and the outer tub but this may be specific to a later Series. My Series 10 machine does not use this part. Bottom line, in the earlier posts I have an incorrect part number for this O-ring. I’ll try to go back and fix it in the earlier posts.
  • If you are going to improvise and use the spinner nut removal method shown in the picture, remember that you are holding the nut stationary and actually turn the spinner support shaft. This means that you should be turning the spinner support shaft CW to loosen the nut. I realized that after trying to turn it the wrong direction and I dinged up the edges where the clutch pulley’s spinner shaft coupler mates. I was able to fix the dings with a few passes from a metal file.
  • The bearing seats will not stop at exactly the right depth so as you get close to having the second bearing fully seated, pay attention that you do not compress the spacer such that it is difficult to get it centered. I did this and it made for some extra work to get the spacer centered with the two outer tub bearings.
Dick, thanks for all your help and encouragement. I consider myself relatively handy but some of this stuff was new to me. Your instructions made the process as smooth as possible.
Rob
robksu attached the following image(s):
1_Tranny_Oring_Seal_Failure_Pre-clean-up.jpg
2_Improvized_Spinner_Nut_Removal_Tool.jpg
3_Old_Tub_Sea_and_Rust_on_Upper_Tub_Bearing_Pre-clean-up.jpg
4_Spinner_Support_Pre-clean-up.jpg
5_Spinner_Underside_Corrosion_and_Old_Tub_Seal_Sleave.jpg
6_Spinner_Agitator_Shaft_Rust_from_Upper_Spinner_Support_Bearing.jpg
7_Rusted_Spinner_Shaft_Upper_Bearing_Pre-clean-up.jpg
8_Rust_Forming_on Spinner_Shaft_Lower_Needle_Bearings.jpg
9_Outer_Tub_Bearing_Shows_Rust_Forming_Inside.jpg
10_Spinner_Support_Bottom_Post-Clean-up.jpg
11_Spinner_Support_Top_Post-Clean-up.jpg
12_New_Outer_Tub_Lower_Bearing_Installed.jpg
13_New_Outer_Tub_Upper_Bearing_Installed_and_Tub_Seal_w_Vaselene.jpg
14_Spinner_Shaft_w_Waterproof_Lithium_Grease_at_Tub_Seal_and_Outer_Tub_Bearing_Locations.jpg
dh1200s  
#107 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 1:58:51 AM(UTC)
dh1200s

Rob,

Excellent job your pics and comments add tremendous value to this thread.

Good job on the home brew locking ring work around for Spinner Nut removal.

Most owners even if they are handy won’t take this on and push the machine to the curb for bulk trash pickup.

Watch for those……. extra parts are handy for troubleshooting Console/Console Control board issues, Motor Controller issue. Other issues that pop up often are related to the Left Hand Lid lock with OP/OD/FL error codes.

You will have no problem troubleshooting those issues. The left side bleach dispenser is hard on the left hand lid lock and TDS……corrosion issues.

Dick
robksu  
#108 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:14:52 AM(UTC)
robksu

I saw several of your early references and I did take a look at the Left Hand Lid Lock while I was waiting for the parts arrival. The inside was pristine but I did notice a little corrosion on one of the external blade connector pins. Nothing drastic. My wife isn't a heavy bleach user so that may be the reason.

Thanks again for you help.
Rob
ApplianceJunk  
#109 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2011 7:40:23 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Wow, some great post in this topic.
Thanks for sharing the photos!
Larry83301  
#110 Posted : Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:58:08 AM(UTC)
Larry83301

Does anybody Have one of these parts that is still good? I need it for a Maytag Neptune FAV6800DAWQ. That part went out but the rest of my clutch is still in good shape.
There is a picture of what I need on page 8 of this thread -- http://forum.appliancepartspros...aring-replacement-8.html dh1200s posted the pics. It's about three quarters down the page. It's the white part leaning on the black clutch part. If you have one that you are willing to part with email me @ Larry83301@gmail.com

Larry