Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages«<456
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JayCue  
#51 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:08:04 PM(UTC)
JayCue

Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and share the same problem. My ge model uses this same gasket. My mother noticed some water on the floor so I investigated. It had been dripping for a while by the looks of all the rust.

The boot gasket doesn't appear to have any rips/tears. The drain holes at the bottom of the gasket had lint and other debris in them. I removed the gasket to clean it all out. There was also a little lint in the holes of the tub that the gasket connects to. Cleaned all that.

Here's my question. Since I can't find a rip in the gasket, is it possible for water to leak out if the drain holes are clogged? I'm thinking the outer clamp wasn't tight enough perhaps? The water leak was at the center of the machine. The water would dribble down the concrete piece below the gasket and behind the lower trim panel, rusting all the metal.

Can I reuse that gasket?
jasonmc  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:54:01 PM(UTC)
jasonmc

I totally agree with ksisco.. I just dismantled my machine in the garage and after looking at it, i will save myself some pain by removing the front and also maybe the concrete counter-weight... I am ordering my boot and will be installing it soon.
JayCue  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:17:14 PM(UTC)
JayCue

I actually reused my gasket because it wasn't the problem. After further inspection, I discovered the water inlet pipe had a crack in the bottom of it, where it connects to the soap dispenser. With the boot still off, I plugged the other end of the pipe with a bag and rubberband. Poured a little water in and it dripped out the crack, ran along the counterweight and onto the lower panel.

Ordered a new pipe and seal, sanded the rust spots away and painted the bare metal. Reassembled and it's ready to go. The water inlet pipe was backordered for a while. I wonder if this happens a lot?

Thanks to the forum for the descriptive instructions. And it's a lot faster to remove the counterweight. Just have pieces of tape for the nuts when you re-assemble.
luked  
#54 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:55:50 AM(UTC)
luked

This repair is easy, if a bit annoying. It took me about 1.5 hours. Taking everything apart was simple. Installing the boot itself had 3 annoying steps figuring out how to get the boot onto the drum, figuring out how to get the little spray thing into the hole, and stretching the spring-loaded clamp onto the boot.

Anyone with a bit of strength, a rudimentary mechanical sense, and the right tools, can do this without any problem. I removed the lower concrete counterbalance for access to the inner clamp.
mayday23  
#55 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:21:42 AM(UTC)
mayday23

Guys - Using this forum, i was able to buy the part from this site and install it in a couple hours and i thank you a tremendous amount.

I'm a first timer, takign the boot seal off was easy, getting it back on was the challenge for me. It took me 2 times, but i eventually got it. I'd recommend taking pictures of how the boot seal is currently on before you take it off.
Katana71  
#56 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2013 11:38:02 AM(UTC)
Katana71

I have a GE Front Load Washer that the Rubber Gasket was ripped and had a hole. Thus it leaked, I was going to order a replacement Part. $125-$165 and 2-3hrs of dismantle/replace/etc. etc.etc. Easy fix....PVC Rubber Cement.....I applied several applications let dry re-applied, let dry did this three days....I've been washing clothes now for a month straight and no leaks!!!! I will re-apply once a week and let dry for a couple of days......$5.99 or $125? Called a appliance repair man and he wanted $80 plus the part.....Hmmmmmm no thanks! Just a heads up for those with patience and to think out of the box.:D :D :D :D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply