Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BB69  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:24:01 AM(UTC)
BB69

Groups: Registered

Hi People, I am new to this site and hopefully I can get this resolved with your help!
The fridge is a GE Profile Arctic. The freezer defrosted and everything thawed and was thrown out. My last GE did the same thing after a year and I was able to upgrade to this one. 5 years later, the same problem as the last one.
The freezer fan works intermittently and the temp ranges from below zero to above 32 degrees.
the fridge stays at 38 to 40 degrees, which is a bit warmer than I want, but nothing spoils.
I disconnected the computer to reset it, i shut the fridge off for a while. cleaned the coils, checked all connectors and it was working for a while and now I can hear the fan trying to turn on, but goes on and off quickly.
The last repair on the fridge, the appliance guy changed the thermister and the computer under warranty but I was not happy with what he broke trying to fix it, so I got this one to replace the last one.
SHould I change the computer and both thermisters before calling an appliance person to look at it?
I can buy the parts from this site for about $110.00 and install them myself. the service call and parts will cost me $300.00 +/-.
if anyone has experience with the GE problems, PLEASE advise?!
any help is greatly appreciated.

Also, how do you remove the thermisters without breaking the sensor covers...
THANK YOU
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 12:39:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Remove the back cover and check the compressor. If freezer fan is running but compressor is not, remove the side cover on compressor and remove the start relay. If it rattles when shaken it's bad. Just order a new one at this site.
BB69  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 3:49:03 PM(UTC)
BB69

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
Remove the back cover and check the compressor. If freezer fan is running but compressor is not, remove the side cover on compressor and remove the start relay. If it rattles when shaken it's bad. Just order a new one at this site.

thanks for the response... the compressor works fine.
i came home to a freezer that went to 40 degrees. i unplugged the fridge, set the controls to zero and then back to 5 and took the back off the freezer wall and everything looks ok.. but now the freezer is back to zero degrees.
the fridge was up to 40 degrees, but nothing is spolied.
i'm baffled. should i just change the thermisters and the computer?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 2:36:25 AM(UTC)
richappy

I would change the freezer fan motor Pn AP3875639, main board AP3950129 and the fridge thermistor item 635 Pn AP3185407.
Really hard to diagnose what is bad on these GE's. If you want to save money, you can just replace the freezer fan motor and go from there.
BB69  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:37:10 PM(UTC)
BB69

I would change the freezer fan motor Pn AP3875639, main board AP3950129 and the fridge thermistor item 635 Pn AP3185407.
Really hard to diagnose what is bad on these GE's. If you want to save money, you can just replace the freezer fan motor and go from there.

Thanks for the help.. The fan works, the compressor works but something is really wacked in this unit. The freezer is waaaaay blow zero now and the fan turns on when I open the fridge or freezer doors... weird.

I ordered two thermisters and the main board. Lets see what this fixes... if it works, it will be my new garage beer fridge, if it doesn't.. off to the recyclers.

I saw a Whirlpool Fridge I like... NO MORE GE PRODUCTS for me.. no more Panasonic gizmos or gadgets either.
:eek:
BB69  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 6:02:18 PM(UTC)
BB69

Originally Posted by: BB69 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the help.. The fan works, the compressor works but something is really wacked in this unit. The freezer is waaaaay blow zero now and the fan turns on when I open the fridge or freezer doors... weird.

I ordered two thermisters and the main board. Lets see what this fixes... if it works, it will be my new garage beer fridge, if it doesn't.. off to the recyclers.

I saw a Whirlpool Fridge I like... NO MORE GE PRODUCTS for me.. no more Panasonic gizmos or gadgets either.
:eek:

I received the main board and two thermisters... unplugged the fridge, installed the thermisters and the main board.. compressor kicked in, the fan went on... same crap. fan still running, freezer below zero... fridge at just over 40 degrees. .. wish I coud bring this GE product to the roof.. i'd drop it and video it for uTube.

If anyone has any ideas, i'm game.. thanks in advance... :cool: :mad:
richappy  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:07:32 AM(UTC)
richappy

Look at the upper left corner of the fridge and check the air vent for airflow. Remove the cover and check the damper. If jammed shut, open up and remove power to the motor there. I tried to find this in the parts but no dice.
This should fix your problem. If not, you may have a evaporator fan motor running slow, just replace it. Please post results, with your freezer below zero, you fridge temperature should be below freezing. Normal temps should be plus 10 in freezer and plus 35 in fridge.
richappy  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:41:47 AM(UTC)
richappy

Huh, I missed the fan coming on when the doors are opened!! Just push in the freezer and fridge door switches and check if the evaporator fan is running!!
BB69  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2007 2:45:43 PM(UTC)
BB69

Huh, I missed the fan coming on when the doors are opened!! Just push in the freezer and fridge door switches and check if the evaporator fan is running!!

Rich, thanks for the assistance.. I changed the two thermisters and the module in the back of the fridge and i kcked it and cursed it for two days and it started working just fine.. fans on when supposed ot be - compressor working fine.. AMEN!

NO MORE GE!!!!
richappy  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 3, 2007 1:33:51 AM(UTC)
richappy

As I first mentioned, change the evaporator motor first, GE in their wisdom has made sure the electronics fail when the evaporator motor fails/becomes intermittent.