Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<130131132133134>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smackattack  
#1311 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:44:34 PM(UTC)
smackattack

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
You do not have to pry out any wires. If it's kind of a quick disconnect plug, then unplug it. Otherwise just cut off the needed wires far enough from any fittings, so you will be able to splice them in later.

There is nothing difficult with this kind of the defrost heater. Look into it more close and you'll see how to pull it out if it has to be replaced. BTW it is very rare for such heaters to be bad. So, you definitely have to check it for continuity first.

According to the instructions, you say to remove 1 wire and test continuity on the heater, if they are both in a quick disconnect, can i unplug it and then just check continuity touching each wire in the plug?

You say the heater going bad is rare, is the most likely culprit the defrost thermostat then? Could I start just by swapping the thermostat and see if it solved the problem. I must say, on inspection, that defrost heater looks like a right pain in the butt to change.

Thanks again
zonic  
#1312 Posted : Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:20:39 PM(UTC)
zonic

Hello Gene!

I have same problem with my whirlpool model ED2FHEXSS02. I tried to search the defrost timer of said fridge in Appliance Parts search by model or part number | AppliancePartsPros.com but I couldn't find it. Does this kind of model doesn't have a defrost timer? If none, what is the best way to check the problem?

Thank you in advance helping me.
EPAJAK  
#1313 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:42:31 AM(UTC)
EPAJAK

If the condenser coils are really clean and the condenser fan is running as it suppose to then there is a problem with the sealed system or the compressor itself.

Gene.

P.S. The best tool for condenser cleaning is a special brush Part number: AP4320046

How do you know if the compressor fan is running the way it is supposed to? It does come on, but I am not sure if it comes on when it is supposed to! Every time we look at the fan it is not running, but if you give it a quick spin, it starts to run. I looked at the condenser coils again, and they are still quite dirty.
Gene  
#1314 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:51:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Denis_D Go to Quoted Post
...A sears repair tech came about a month ago and took everything apart defrosted it all and said that it was caused by[COLOR="Red"] a bad gasget on the fridge door[/COLOR]...

Denis,

Did he replaced the gasket?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE FRS24XHAW0 Frg(v6) / Side By Side Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
Gene  
#1315 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 2:56:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: smackattack Go to Quoted Post
...Could I start just by swapping the thermostat and see if it solved the problem...

The defrost thermostat is the most common issue in such refrigerators. So, my answer is yes.

Gene.
Gene  
#1316 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:25:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: zonic Go to Quoted Post
Hello Gene!

I have same problem with my whirlpool model ED2FHEXSS02. I tried to search the defrost timer of said fridge in Appliance Parts search by model or part number | AppliancePartsPros.com but I couldn't find it. Does this kind of model doesn't have a defrost timer? If none, what is the best way to check the problem?

Thank you in advance helping me.

There is no defrost timer in your refrigerator. The defrost cycle operates by the control board (#6 on the diagram).

You can force the defrost following the instructions attached to the reply.

- The electronic control board Part number: AP5177497
Part number: AP5177497

- The defrost heater Part number: AP2990875
Part number: AP2990875

- The defrost thermostat Part number: AP3108445
Part number: AP3108445

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL ED2FHEXSS02 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Wiring Sheet - W10142165 - ED2FHEXSS02.pdf (622kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
Gene  
#1317 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:44:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: EPAJAK Go to Quoted Post
How do you know if the compressor fan is running the way it is supposed to? It does come on, but I am not sure if it comes on when it is supposed to! Every time we look at the fan it is not running, but if you give it a quick spin, it starts to run. I looked at the condenser coils again, and they are still quite dirty.

This fan should run wherever the compressor is running with the speed a little over 1000 rpm.

The coils must be clean for good performance.

Gene.
EPAJAK  
#1318 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:12:53 PM(UTC)
EPAJAK

This fan should run wherever the compressor is running with the speed a little over 1000 rpm.

The coils must be clean for good performance.

Gene.

I just checked...the compressor is running, but the fan is barely turning. Does that mean the problem is with the fan? Sometimes if we force it to spin it starts running.
Gene  
#1319 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 4:47:58 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: EPAJAK Go to Quoted Post
I just checked...the compressor is running, but the fan is barely turning. Does that mean the problem is with the fan? Sometimes if we force it to spin it starts running.

The fan is the culprit. No doubt about it. The compressor is overheated and can be damaged any time. So, turn the refrigerator off and keep it off until the new fan installed. You can try to use a good floor fan to cool down the compressor as a temporary solution.

- The condenser fan motor Part number: AP3120994
Part number: AP3120994

Gene.
Mraknroll  
#1320 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:25:10 PM(UTC)
Mraknroll

I had this exact problem back in '08, the fridge was 8 years old at that time. I replaced the thermostat with your Part # AP3861719 and it worked fine for 3 years. Yesterday the thermostat failed again. Is there some underlying issue that may be causing the thermostat to fail?