Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmouncer1  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:49:41 AM(UTC)
tmouncer1

Groups: Registered

The ice auger on my GE side-by-side stopped working. the motor is good. I removed it from the ice maker and connected it to a 120v power supply and the motor is fine. I suspected a relay on the main circuitboard. Replacing the board however did not solve the problem. Is there another relay somewhere that could be the problem? When placed in the water mode the dispenser lever works to dispense water, but in cube or crushed ice mode the auger will not turn.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kuau77  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2007 3:42:35 PM(UTC)
kuau77

I have the same problem but I bought a new motor and am trying to install it. I have it all figured out so far except how to get the nut off the spindle of the old motor in order to release the old motor. How did you do it? No matter which way I try to turn the nut the spindle turns too, and vice grips seem useless to stop it. Everything is melting. Help please!!
tmouncer1  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:46:00 PM(UTC)
tmouncer1

I finally found the problem. It was in the freezer door switch at the top of the door opening. The interior light worked when the door was open so I had assumed incorrectly that this switch was working. After exhausting all other options, I took this switch out and reinstalled it. Apparently there was a loose wire that was causing the problem. After reinstalling the switch the crusher motor began working and has been fine ever since.
kuau77  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:23:46 PM(UTC)
kuau77

I hate to sound like a moron, but I cannot find any "freezer door switch at the top of the door opening." The only thing I see is a white protruberance at the very bottom that turns the light off when I push it in (or shut the door). Do you mean inside the freezer, or around the edges of the opening against which the door sits? I looked under the plate that covers the top hinge but all seemed well there. I see no switch anywhere.

In my unsuccessful efforts to disconnect the old motor, both wires broke off. Perhaps I could twist them together but I have only 1/4" to work with. So I'm in the position of being unable to remove the old motor, but broke the old motor in trying, and can't put in the new motor because I can't undo the nut that holds the spindle through the hole. It appears they do not want anyone undoing this nut because it has brads on 2 sides that make it impossible to fit a socket over it, and no room to work between the silver tongs. I'm screwed. Any ideas?? Thanks!
tmouncer1  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:26:50 AM(UTC)
tmouncer1

you must have a slightly different model than me. Mine has a door switch in the ceiling of the freezer door opening right in the center. And the motor assembly was easy to remove. Just a couple of hex screws holding it in and 2 electrical connectors to unfasten. I took it out of the freezer and connected the hot wire and common to a 120V power supply to test the motor. It ran fine so I knew the motor was good. It just took forever to trace where the bad connection was in the rest of the circuitry. At first I thought it might be a bad relay on the motherboard in the back of the refrigerator, I replaced that to the tune of 119 bucks with no luck. then finally found the bad switch. twisting the wires together is not a good idea. The motor draws too much current and may cause arcing. They will need to be soldered to make sure you have a good connection. that may be difficult with the short amount of wire to work with but is probably your best bet. IMHO
kuau77  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2007 10:39:08 AM(UTC)
kuau77

Dear TM: Thanks for your reply. I might as well put the new motor in even if the old one used to work before I denuded it of wires. Yours must have had a spindle attached to prongs that rotated to turn the coil to make the ice advance, no? How did you get the prongs off the spindle?? Because the spindle extends through a hole in the metal casing that is smaller than the prongs, I can't even get it off the big metal shelf supporting gizmo. It's driving me crazy. Is there some special tool I need to get the nut undone, or am I supposed to unscrew the motor and hold the nut still?

Thanks, kuau77
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply