Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<123124125126127>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cmshepherd  
#1241 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:19:51 PM(UTC)
cmshepherd

Groups: Registered

I am also experiencing the same problem. My freezer works and keeps things cold, but the fridge won't get cooler than 60 degrees. Please help.
Gene  
#1242 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:49:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cmshepherd Go to Quoted Post
I am also experiencing the same problem. My freezer works and keeps things cold, but the fridge won't get cooler than 60 degrees. Please help.

What is the exact measured temperature in the freezer?

Did you clean the condenser coil on the back of the refrigerator?

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for FRIGIDAIRE FRT8G6FMB2 Frigidaire/refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
pc527  
#1243 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:26:57 PM(UTC)
pc527

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Peter,

Pull the refrigerator out of the wall. Remove the rear cover and clean the condenser (#730 on the diagram). Make sure the fan next to the compressor (#650) is working properly.

Put the cover back in place. Let the fridge to work a few hours and check the temperatures.

Gene.

Gene, do I need to turn off power to the fridge when I do this?

Thanks,
Peter
Gene  
#1244 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:57:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Peter,

No, you don't have to do it, but be careful not to touch any moving parts. You will see it. You can not check the fan motor without power.

Gene.
pc527  
#1245 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:02:32 PM(UTC)
pc527

Peter,

No, you don't have to do it, but be careful not to touch any moving parts. You will see it. You can not check the fan motor without power.

Gene.

Hi Gene, the fan was working properly and the condenser wasn't too dirty. It had a small amount of dust build up around the side facing the front of the fridge. The back side of the condenser was fairly clean. I did wipe off the dust and vacuumed what I could see which wasn't much. I'll check the mercury therm reading in the morning.

Thanks,
Peter
pc527  
#1246 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:54:43 AM(UTC)
pc527

Gene, here are the temperature readings this morning. The freezer side is set for 0 but reading -1 on the digital display. Fridge side is set for 37 but reading 38 on digital display. The mercury therm. reads -1 for freezer and 42 for fridge side. What should I check next?

EDIT:
Just got home and took another reading from the mercury therms. Freezer is -4 and Fridge is 37.
The fridge's own digital temp. is reading 1 / 38. The compressor is still humming away. Is this normal?

EDIT:
This morning the mercury therms are showing -4 for freezer and 42 for fridge side.

Thanks,
Peter
oorah762  
#1247 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:37:20 PM(UTC)
oorah762

First post here on the forums. It's refreshing to see how helpful the community is here (especially the participation of Gene).

I'm having the same problem, freezer has excess ice, fridge is warm, and I've narrowed down the culprit to either possibly being my defrost timer or cold control.

First thing I did was advance the knob of my fridge to activate the defrost cycle. With the freezer panel off, the heater did it's job for roughly 30 minutes before the cool cycle engaged.

Ok, great so far...defrost thermostat is at least closing it's connection (although it might be stuck) to permit power to the heater, and the heater is definitely workin.

Second thing was I advanced the knob to just a bit before a full rotation so that I can observe if the timer switches into defrost mode. great so far, the heater element is working.

Since i've observed the timer go into cool and defrost cycles automatically, is it safe to say my defrost timer is working fine?

Now, what was the reason for the frost to buildup in the first place? Could it be that the cold control has a closed connection for the entire cool cycle and is not switching off and on? What else can be suspect in my situation.

BTW, externals appear clean and the evap fan did have a ton of rattling noise that started around the same time of the whole problem. i'm thinking the fan problem is completely unrelated since from my research, if the evap fun was NOT working, then the the freezer temps would actually be higher, not frost-ridden as mine is.

Thanks
Gene  
#1248 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:01:07 PM(UTC)
Gene

Peter,

The temperature in the fresh food compartment is fluctuating. This model is much more sophisticated than an average refrigerators and you may want to call a certified tech who has an experience with such dual evaporator refrigerators.

Gene.
Gene  
#1249 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2011 7:02:45 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: oorah762 Go to Quoted Post
First post here on the forums. It's refreshing to see how helpful the community is here (especially the participation of Gene).

I'm having the same problem, freezer has excess ice, fridge is warm, and I've narrowed down the culprit to either possibly being my defrost timer or cold control.

First thing I did was advance the knob of my fridge to activate the defrost cycle. With the freezer panel off, the heater did it's job for roughly 30 minutes before the cool cycle engaged.

Ok, great so far...defrost thermostat is at least closing it's connection (although it might be stuck) to permit power to the heater, and the heater is definitely workin.

Second thing was I advanced the knob to just a bit before a full rotation so that I can observe if the timer switches into defrost mode. great so far, the heater element is working.

Since i've observed the timer go into cool and defrost cycles automatically, is it safe to say my defrost timer is working fine?

Now, what was the reason for the frost to buildup in the first place? Could it be that the cold control has a closed connection for the entire cool cycle and is not switching off and on? What else can be suspect in my situation.

BTW, externals appear clean and the evap fan did have a ton of rattling noise that started around the same time of the whole problem. i'm thinking the fan problem is completely unrelated since from my research, if the evap fun was NOT working, then the the freezer temps would actually be higher, not frost-ridden as mine is.

Thanks

You posted a lot of information but the complete model number of the refrigerator :)

Gene.
pc527  
#1250 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 12:42:48 AM(UTC)
pc527

Peter,

The temperature in the fresh food compartment is fluctuating. This model is much more sophisticated than an average refrigerators and you may want to call a certified tech who has an experience with such dual evaporator refrigerators.

Gene.

Will do. Thanks.

Peter
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply