Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mea  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:19:06 AM(UTC)
mea

Groups: Registered

Our Jenn air dishwasher is not cleaning well. Food specks stay on both top and bottom racks and silverware. I opened the dishwasher during the cycle and there seems to be enough water (up to the heater pipe). It doesn't sound any different than it did when it was working well. No leaks as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:56:11 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mea Go to Quoted Post
Our Jenn air dishwasher is not cleaning well. Food specks stay on both top and bottom racks and silverware. I opened the dishwasher during the cycle and there seems to be enough water (up to the heater pipe). It doesn't sound any different than it did when it was working well. No leaks as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions?

Mea,

Try this first,

Check for a proper drain time, start the dishwasher and let it run 3 to 5 minutes, then drain the machine, the tub should be empty in 60 seconds(give or take a few ).

Make sure the water temperature in the bottom of the tub, is 120 to 140 degrees on the first fill cycle, when you start the machine.

Purchase a small box of "plain"(no additives) powderred detergent, and if possible, adjust the rinse agent dispenser to the lowest setting.

Some of the newer detergents and rinse agents have a tendency to "foam" during the cycle and can leave deposits as you described.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
mea  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:29:54 AM(UTC)
mea

Thanks for the very quick reply. I love this site! I will try and get back with the results.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:21:01 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Thanks for the very quick reply. I love this site! I will try and get back with the results.

Mea,

There are other possibilities, but it sounds like you've been very considerate in using the dishwasher, and I don't think theres a problem in the pump/drive system.

"Sudsing" is a relatively new predicament, due to chemical changes in the new detergents.

mea  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2011 5:13:22 AM(UTC)
mea

So it appears that it's draining fine, and the water is getting hot enough. Not sure about the detergent, as we are using the same kind we have been using on and off for over 2 years.

I'd say about 20% of glasses and dishes need to be either wiped down after or re-washed.

Any other suggestions?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:46:47 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So it appears that it's draining fine, and the water is getting hot enough. Not sure about the detergent, as we are using the same kind we have been using on and off for over 2 years.

I'd say about 20% of glasses and dishes need to be either wiped down after or re-washed.

Any other suggestions?

Mea,

I can only think of one other possible problem, and I'd expect you to have other complaints as well.

You'll need to remove the lower spray arm, spray arm support, and pump cover. While you have those parts out, you want to check for debris and a "white" colored build up on and in the components. Then you'll need to check the drain flapper,inside the volute, and the linkage and shafts to the drain solenoid.
Usually, if that flapper is out of alignment and not seating properly, the dishwasher will"auto drain" and the dishwasher will run with no water in the tank, but it's the only other thing I can come up with, at this point.

mea  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:44:52 AM(UTC)
mea

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
mea  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 5:48:47 AM(UTC)
mea

So I am back on trying to resolve this issue. Moved to the powdered detergent and definitely seemed to help but still getting debris on the top rack.

I heard from a repair pro(who doesn't come to my town) that jenn air's have great filters and possibly there is labels, food items clogging the filter. Do you have info that could direct me on the proper way to do this. Sounds like it's worth the try.
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2011 10:21:36 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So I am back on trying to resolve this issue. Moved to the powdered detergent and definitely seemed to help but still getting debris on the top rack.

I heard from a repair pro(who doesn't come to my town) that jenn air's have great filters and possibly there is labels, food items clogging the filter. Do you have info that could direct me on the proper way to do this. Sounds like it's worth the try.

Mea,
Not all JA dishwashers have micro mesh filters, but you won't know until you remove the pump cover, so don't be surprised if theres not one there. "1. Remove the power supply to the dishwasher 2. Remove the lower rack assembly. 3.While holding the lower spray arm, unscrew the center wash tower. Then remove the tower and spray arm. Remove 3(three) Toex screws securing the stariner/ cover to the pump housing. NOTE: Orientation of cover requires the lower flange to sit into the deep reservoir of the pump housing. Unscrew wash arm support nut from the pump volut, then lift and remove support." You should be able to clean everything up from there.

mea  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2011 3:49:56 AM(UTC)
mea

Hi Joe,

First of all there was standing water in the bottom compartment. I think it's supposed to be that way. Please confirm.

There really wasn't debris, but there were 3 small smooth flats stones. All the same color and size. Are those supposed to be there?

Thanks again for your help.