Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kkenemer@comcast.net  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:13:01 AM(UTC)
kkenemer@comcast.net

Groups: Registered
You have been a member since:: 2/13/2010(UTC)

LED panel shows code 8.8. . I cannot find this code listed anywhere . Any ideas ? maytag neptune dryer mde5500ayw ?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:57:14 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I think anything Maytag made with the word Neptune on it is pretty much a problem machine. See if you can clear out the error code. If not, I think it means your main control board has malfunctioned and will need to be replaced, but with unless you can put it in diagnostic mode you will have to replace it on speculation.

Here is a Service Manual

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16023110.pdf

and here is a correction on the service manual, which may be applicable, check your serial number

http://www.servicematters.com/m...rary/docs/TDL-0036-S.pdf

and here is tech bulletin on a change in the control board which may or may not be applicable in your situation.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...rary/docs/TDL-0058-B.pdf
peredehuit  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:05:11 PM(UTC)
peredehuit

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
I think anything Maytag made with the word Neptune on it is pretty much a problem machine. See if you can clear out the error code. If not, I think it means your main control board has malfunctioned and will need to be replaced, but with unless you can put it in diagnostic mode you will have to replace it on speculation.

Here is a Service Manual

http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16023110.pdf

and here is a correction on the service manual, which may be applicable, check your serial number

http://www.servicematters.com/m...rary/docs/TDL-0036-S.pdf

and here is tech bulletin on a change in the control board which may or may not be applicable in your situation.

http://www.servicematters.com/m...rary/docs/TDL-0058-B.pdf

I've been experiencing the same code 8.8. problem in my Maytag Neptune electric dryer for many months now (Model MDE5500AYW), but have been able to clear the issue by placing a hot water bottle on the face of the control panel--until this week. Now, I have to blast it with my wife's hair dryer for about 10 minutes before it will come out of its coma.

I was unable to open the servicematters service manuals, but found the same thing here. The service check came out perfect, including the membrane switches, and there were no diagnostic codes recorded. It appears the control panel is faulty but responds to external heating. Sounds like a bad solder run on the circuit board, but how to find. Has anyone been able to repair the board when this problem is experienced, or does everyone just buy a replacement board?

Maytag support disavows any knowledge of this problem, despite numerous reports on the web from others. If the replacement boards are fixing this problem, it seems like Maytag should share the cost with us, but so far, no luck.

Thanks!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:13:31 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Thanks for the post. It does sound like a hairline crack in the connections on the board, almost impossible to find.

Maytag has punted on a lot of problems with various machines.

Thanks again for your post, it is very helpful.
tracbulit  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 9, 2012 12:24:30 PM(UTC)
tracbulit

When the hair dryer/heating pad trick fails to work...try replacing capacitor 15....it might have a slight bulge on the top of it. I replaced mine and haven't had an issue since.
tracbulit attached the following image(s):
capacitor.jpg
jena227  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:48:10 AM(UTC)
jena227

I know this thread is old, but it seems to be helping people still! I see that 20 people have viewed the photo, so there are many of us trying to figure this out. I just finished replacing the drum bearing on the washing machine a month ago and now the hair dryer trick isn't working as well as it used to. (This has been going on for about a year, but only when it's somewhat cold. These units have been a pain, but they're too expensive to give up on!

Tracbulit, can you share with us where you bought that capacitor? I would love to give that a try before replacing the whole control board (which is the only other solution I've seen besides yours. )

Thanks you!!
deannalj  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 1:13:33 PM(UTC)
deannalj

It has been quite a while since you replaced the Capacitor. If you still have the
machine, is it still working? Please advise. Thank you
ukoshin  
#8 Posted : Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:42:23 PM(UTC)
ukoshin

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Had same issues with the 8.8 code - took the control board out and indeed the C15 capacitor had a slight "bump" on it - the previous comment pointing to this as a root cause made troubleshooting a lot easier :)

Replacing the cap fixed the problem.

The C15 cap is a 3300uF (microFarads) and is rated at 16V - the package is 12.5mm (i think). The cap is either an input or an output capacitor for the DC-DC regulator.
Since so many people are having this issue my guess is that the engineers did not choose proper voltage rating or ripple current rating; if doing the repair I would suggest going with a 25 or 35V part of same capacitance in industrial temperature rating of 105 or 125C.
Some parts that will work:
EEU-FC1E392L ; UPW1E392MHD.

Note the direction of the white line on old and new replacement part - they must face same direction while installed on the board.

The whole repair can be done with a cheap soldering iron, flux, and some solder wick for cleaning out mounting holes.

It is worth to note that the 8.8 error is not actually a code - that's why no one knows about it. 8.8 on the display is simply all LED lights being on at once due to low DC voltage going to the main controller on the circuit board - caused in this case by the C15 going bad.

Hope it helps!
thanks 1 user thanked ukoshin for this useful post.
emuszd on 2/6/2020(UTC)
CRamig  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2016 8:44:45 AM(UTC)
CRamig

Used the hair dryer trick. Got "code" to delete and various numbers to show, but still won't start. Ideas?
walliegirl  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:56:50 AM(UTC)
walliegirl

Originally Posted by: ukoshin Go to Quoted Post
Had same issues with the 8.8 code - took the control board out and indeed the C15 capacitor had a slight "bump" on it - the previous comment pointing to this as a root cause made troubleshooting a lot easier :)

Replacing the cap fixed the problem.

The C15 cap is a 3300uF (microFarads) and is rated at 16V - the package is 12.5mm (i think). The cap is either an input or an output capacitor for the DC-DC regulator.
Since so many people are having this issue my guess is that the engineers did not choose proper voltage rating or ripple current rating; if doing the repair I would suggest going with a 25 or 35V part of same capacitance in industrial temperature rating of 105 or 125C.
Some parts that will work:
EEU-FC1E392L ; UPW1E392MHD.

Note the direction of the white line on old and new replacement part - they must face same direction while installed on the board.

The whole repair can be done with a cheap soldering iron, flux, and some solder wick for cleaning out mounting holes.

It is worth to note that the 8.8 error is not actually a code - that's why no one knows about it. 8.8 on the display is simply all LED lights being on at once due to low DC voltage going to the main controller on the circuit board - caused in this case by the C15 going bad.

Hope it helps!

Neptune show 8.8 error dryer will not start. Some how I figured out if I press Time Dry button then panel show 40 min then press + button to change time to 41 min then press Start like magic it starts!! then reset panel to sensor setting and reset temperature setting, and Very Dry setting it works have been doing this for about a year now.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply