Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<1718192021>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mposz  
#181 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:38:09 AM(UTC)
mposz

Groups: Registered

Gene,

I figured it out and did the test. Both the heater and the thermostat showed continuity. I unpluged both wires on each devices and did the test. So, should the thermostat show continuity? or should it have been open? the fridge was unplugged, but it was cold and had been running before I did the testing.
DGDGBD  
#182 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:18:52 AM(UTC)
DGDGBD

Hi all- I have a Kenmore frig/freezer (freezer on bottom) model 596.69872990 with this problem. About every month, frost builds up on the rear of the freezer then the fridge gets too warm.

I tried to check the defrost timer as per post #1 and here's what happened:

I turned the timer until it clicked, then waited fiften minutes. I wasn't sure if it was a sizzling noise, but I could hear the soft noise of the timer operating, and I heard the sound of dripping from the evaporator coil.
It sounds like once the timer was clicked, the defrost cycle started working. Does this mean the timer is good or bad? Should I move on and check the thermostat, because it sounds also like the heater works.

Also, I noticed that the bottom right corners of the door gaskets were a little warped. Could a very slight leak in the door gasket of the freezer or refrig cause the frost buildup?

[EDIT-heater element shows resistance, so I guess its OK.]

Thanks
mposz  
#183 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:52:27 PM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,
I plugged everything back in and waited about 30 minutes then I turned the timer to the defrost cycle again. opened the freezer door about 7 minutes later and pulled the rear cover forward, as I had not screwed it back in yet, and the heater was now working. I am not sure why, or what I did, but it was working. I am going to watch the timer and when the next defrost cycle comes around, I will check it again. The only thing that I could see that might have been an issue was the thermostat was turned slightly on the part where it is mounted, and was touching the heater element. Could that not let it operate properly? more have made it warm up to fast, not letting the heater warm up enough to melt the frost off the coils? Or maybe a faulty connection that was fixed by me unplugging and re-plugging them in? Once it cycles again I will re-post.

Thanks again,
Mike
mposz  
#184 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 2:45:07 PM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,
I let it sit until this afternoon and switched it into defrost mode by spinning the timer until it clicked. After waiting between 10 -15 minutes, I did not here the sizzling sound again. Would this point to the defrost thermostat? The last time I checked it and it did defrost, I had the back off, and could see it working and now that I have put it back together, I don't see or hear it defrosting. When I tested it the last time, I checked to see if there was continuity when I turned the timer into defrost mode, and it was there. My guess is that the signs are pointing to a faulty defrost thermostat, and that it may work intermittently. Any ideas, or test I can do to check this?

Thanks again,
Mike
Gene  
#185 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 9:58:31 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Mike,

I would replace both the defrost timer and the defrost thermostat at this point. Also make sure the defrost thermostat is far enough from the defrost heater.

- The part number for the defrost timer is AP98191

- The part number for the defrost thermostat is AP175103

Gene.
Gene  
#186 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2008 10:07:49 AM(UTC)
Gene

DGDGBD,

I would start with the defrost timer at this point. I do not think this problem is connected to the door gasket. If gasket breaks then warm air will cause frost buildup around the door frame.

- The part number for the defrost timer is AP98191

Gene.
mposz  
#187 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:55:39 AM(UTC)
mposz

Gene,

I replaced both the timer and the thermostat last night. I am going to let it sit overnight and check it in the morning here... The thermostat looked like it was coming apart slightly, the plastic top was lifting up on one side of it, so I think that it might have been the issue, but we will see for sure in the morning. I will post back after I check it out.

Thanks again,
Mike
DGDGBD  
#188 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 9:53:48 AM(UTC)
DGDGBD

Thanks Gene!
Eric Ettinger  
#189 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 3:40:25 PM(UTC)
Eric Ettinger

I followed the directions for checking the defrost system. I found the glass tube broken on the def heater. After ordering the part from your web site, I replaced it. I again turned the screw on the timer, the compressor stopped and the heater came on and melted the ice. After a while the compressor started running again. My question is this. First when the heater comes on the compressor should stop. Is this correct? Second. Since the compressor started again, can I assume the timer is ok? I already ordered the timer but may not need it. Frost no longer forms on back wall of freezer( it forms but then melts).

GE mod - tbx18zhc

Freezer 18 deg refridgerator 42 deg
Eric
Gene  
#190 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2008 7:01:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Eric,

Sounds like there is no more problems with defrost system. The temperatures in both compartments too high. Did you try to adjust the temperature settings? You have to wait about 24 hours after any adjustment to see what is going on.

Gene.