Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages«<1516171819>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Charlene De La O  
#161 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2008 2:00:31 PM(UTC)
Charlene De La O

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I have a Kenmore refrigerator/freezer, model 106.70192000. It is eight years old.

My problem seems to be related to this thread. There was water in my refrigerator, so I read some posts and fixed it by clearning the drain hose from the freezer. It turned out to have a chunk of ice in the hose. There was also a ton of ice all over the bottom of the freezer, which I cleaned out, melted, and dried. I even left my refrigerator and freezer open and turned off for 72 hours to make sure that everything was melted and dry.

Now the problem has returned. A lot of ice has formed on the bottom of the freezer (under the plastic pan that I removed). It leaks into the refrigerator and forms puddles of water and sections of ice on the shelves. When they fill with water and ice, it runs to the bottom of the fridge, some more ice forms there and eventually water runs out of the bottom of the door and onto the floor.

It seems clear that whatever caused the drain to plug with ice in the first place is still a problem. So, I figure it could be the defrost system. I am starting with Greg's troubleshootings steps. I found the defrost timer; it looks just like the part number AP3110896, shown in this site's pics. But I can't locate a "shaft in the middle" that I can turn with a screwdriver. It's all encased in clear plastic and even under that I don't see any shaft to adjust.

Also, does the fact I can see the parts moving under the clear plastic an indicator that this part is working?

Thanks for any help!

Charlene
mhf115  
#162 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 11:08:14 AM(UTC)
mhf115

Gene - Thank you. I will replace parts and update.
Gene  
#163 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 2:04:27 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Charlene,

Before replacing any parts I would recommend to remove the rear cover and clean the condenser coil and all around from lint. Be sure the bottom end of the drain hose is open.

Gene.
DaveR  
#164 Posted : Monday, October 6, 2008 4:23:53 PM(UTC)
DaveR

Thank you Gene, it now makes sense.
mhf115  
#165 Posted : Saturday, October 18, 2008 8:43:34 AM(UTC)
mhf115

Gene-

I diagnosed my problem inproperly to you. My heater element read that I had a closed circuit. On my ohmeter, my bar went to the far right which I thought was infinity. I had the same reading on the new heater element.

So I have a closed circuit with my heater element that is already in the freezer. I took out the defrost thermostat and I checked for continuity. It was closed when cold and open when warm. I ended up replacing that piece anyway.

So where I am now is I have my new defrost thermostat in (the old one should have been good). The old heater element in (also tests good "i believe").

My options now are to replace the heater element or the electric defrost timer. What is your opinion on where to proceed? If you recall, I could not manually put my fridge into defrost mode by toggling the light switch. The fridge was also shutting off periodically. Let me know how I should proceed.

Thank you.

Mark
Gene  
#166 Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:19:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Mark,

If there is nothing wrong with the defrost heater and the defrost thermostat then the problem is a bad adaptive defrost control. No doubts about it.

- The part number for the adaptive defrost control is AP3211551

Gene.
mhf115  
#167 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 5:57:02 AM(UTC)
mhf115

Gene,

Thank you - I ordered that part and last time the shipping was very fast. I will update once installed. I know this is not your department, but should I be able to return that defrost heater element that I did not install?

Thanks again,
Mark
Gene  
#168 Posted : Monday, October 20, 2008 12:22:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: mhf115 Go to Quoted Post
...I know this is not your department, but should I be able to return that defrost heater element that I did not install?...

Mark,

I would call the customer service 877-477-7278.

Gene.
mhf115  
#169 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:22:40 PM(UTC)
mhf115

Gene,

All is well... when I toggled the light switch after installing the new ADC board, the fridge went right into defrost mode and I could hear the heater element melting the ice in the freezer.

Thanks for all your help.

Best of luck,
Mark
Gene  
#170 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:34:25 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.