Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bart1110  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 11:35:52 AM(UTC)
Bart1110

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I've read a bunch of posts about GE dishwashers that won't drain, because I'm having the same problem. I probably haven't read all of the posts, but most have had success by replacing the Piston and Nut Assembly.

I just installed a new Piston and Nut Assembly and ran the dishwasher through a rinse cycle, but there is still water in the tub. I've found that I can get the water to drain by turning the water off at the main shutoff valve under the sink then running another rinse cycle.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Bart
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:11:44 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bart1110 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
I've read a bunch of posts about GE dishwashers that won't drain, because I'm having the same problem. I probably haven't read all of the posts, but most have had success by replacing the Piston and Nut Assembly.

I just installed a new Piston and Nut Assembly and ran the dishwasher through a rinse cycle, but there is still water in the tub. I've found that I can get the water to drain by turning the water off at the main shutoff valve under the sink then running another rinse cycle.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Bart

Bart,

What was the original symptom ?

Sounds like you've got a bad fill valve, or stuck float switch or both.

Has the dishwasher ever flooded on you or had water in the tub when it was not in use / off ?

Part number: AP2039343
Part number: AP2039343

It's not making a lot of sense, but based on your information, that's where I'd start.

:) :) :)
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:52:54 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Could be you have a partial plug in the drain system.

I would remove the drain hose at the house plumbing.
Check that the fitting here is clean, this is a common spot for things to catch and plug the drain.
If OK
Put the drain hose into a pail and run a drain cycle. If it drains OK odds are you have a house drain problem. Be sure to hold the drain tube tightly in the pail and put a towel over the top of the pail to stop water splashing all over.
If still no good.
You will have to check the drain path for a partial plug. This includes the drain hose, the sump etc.
If all OK I would replace the drain pump.

A sponge or turkey baster comes in handy yo get most of the water out before disconnecting the drain parts saves on having to mop up a mess.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Bart1110  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 11:34:04 AM(UTC)
Bart1110

In response to Joe's reply, here are the symptoms. At the end of any wash cycle there is 1/2" to 1" on water left. Just by trial and error, we found the only way to get the water out, other than manually bailing, is to turn the main inlet water off and run a rinse cycle. After that there is no water left.

The dishwasher has never flooded or had water go into it if the dishwasher is not in use or off.

The drain hose is connected to the garbage disposal and the hose raises up higher than the inlet to the garbage disposal to create an air gap.

The water seems to drain OK when no new water is added. I haven't removed the drain hose yet from the garbage disposal, but will do that next unless you have any other suggestions.

Thanks, Bart
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 4, 2010 1:15:46 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

In response to Joe's reply, here are the symptoms. At the end of any wash cycle there is 1/2" to 1" on water left. Just by trial and error, we found the only way to get the water out, other than manually bailing, is to turn the main inlet water off and run a rinse cycle. After that there is no water left.

The dishwasher has never flooded or had water go into it if the dishwasher is not in use or off.

The drain hose is connected to the garbage disposal and the hose raises up higher than the inlet to the garbage disposal to create an air gap.

The water seems to drain OK when no new water is added. I haven't removed the drain hose yet from the garbage disposal, but will do that next unless you have any other suggestions.

Thanks, Bart

Bart,

Thanks for the update, the more information we have, the better we can help.

I have to agree with Denman,

You need to remove the sump cover, filter, and screen,

Carefully drain the remaining water in the sump and clean it out of any and all debris,crud,etc.

Disconnect the drain hose from the disposal, use a large bucket or trash can to collect the drain water.

Start the machine on a regular wash cycle and let fill and wash for a few minutes, then drain the unit ( you may want to do this a couple of times ).

Re connect the drain hose, re install the covers and screens, and test one more time.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)
Bart1110  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 9:33:13 AM(UTC)
Bart1110

Joe,

OK, I removed sump cover, filter, screen and the remaining water as you suggested. The sump was basically clean. I reassembled those parts and then removed the drain hose from the garbage disposal. I ran a rinse cycle and drained the water into a bucket. The drain hose was basically flat on the floor and I elevated the end to go into the bucket. All the water drained from the dishwasher.

I ran another rinse cycle, but held the drain hose up to the level of the garbage disposal inlet. Some of the water drained, but some was left in the dishwasher tub. I ran another cycle with the hose flat on the floor and it drained completely. Another elevated and all of the water didn't drain. I reattached the drain hose to the garbage disposal and it partially drained. I turned off the water, ran a rinse cycle and the rest of the water drained.

In all of these nothing but water which was a little soapy came out of the drain hose.

Based on what's happened, I can only guess the pump is not working strong enough to pump out all of the water out when it has to pump uphill.

Bart
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 12:21:33 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,

OK, I removed sump cover, filter, screen and the remaining water as you suggested. The sump was basically clean. I reassembled those parts and then removed the drain hose from the garbage disposal. I ran a rinse cycle and drained the water into a bucket. The drain hose was basically flat on the floor and I elevated the end to go into the bucket. All the water drained from the dishwasher.

I ran another rinse cycle, but held the drain hose up to the level of the garbage disposal inlet. Some of the water drained, but some was left in the dishwasher tub. I ran another cycle with the hose flat on the floor and it drained completely. Another elevated and all of the water didn't drain. I reattached the drain hose to the garbage disposal and it partially drained. I turned off the water, ran a rinse cycle and the rest of the water drained.

In all of these nothing but water which was a little soapy came out of the drain hose.

Based on what's happened, I can only guess the pump is not working strong enough to pump out all of the water out when it has to pump uphill.

Bart

That's very good idea, and the most logical at this point.

Here's your part number for the drain pump.

Part number: AP2039463
Part number: AP2039463

Not a very hard repair, nothing you can't handle.

Good Luck,
:cool: :cool: :cool:
Bart1110  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 7, 2010 12:24:54 PM(UTC)
Bart1110

Joe,
Looking at my dishwasher, it appears that in order to replace the drain pump, I will have to pull the dishwasher out from under the cabinet to get at the pump. Is there another or easier way to do the job?

Thanks,
Bart
Joe / APP Team  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 8, 2010 11:30:25 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Joe,
Looking at my dishwasher, it appears that in order to replace the drain pump, I will have to pull the dishwasher out from under the cabinet to get at the pump. Is there another or easier way to do the job?

Thanks,
Bart

Bart,

Sometimes, you may have to remove the unit,

I never wanted to remove a unit, unless I had to.

It will be a tight squeaze, but you should be able to accomplish the repair,

Two squeaze clamps and one mounting bolt, a couple of twists and turns to get the hoses off and the old pump out.

But, you decide ...

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply