Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
frankiep77  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 6:27:14 AM(UTC)
frankiep77

Groups: Registered

I was using the Convection feature of the oven when it went dead on me. No lights, no control panel, no noises...just dead. I checked power at the outlet which is still good. I checked the fuses which are still good. There are TCO (thermal cut off) units which I suspect to be the problem but how do I check if these units are still good? Is a basic continuity check sufficient or should I be checking for a specific resistance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:43:21 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

[COLOR="Red"]First, unplug the appliance[/COLOR].If you can locate the TCOs, a simple continuity check will suffice. When you check them, make sure you disconnect at least one of the wires connected to each one, so you don't read any other resistance in the system. Also, make sure you check the main fuse, which is in-line with the power cord.
frankiep77  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:14:45 AM(UTC)
frankiep77

Thanks for the response. No continuity exists at the TCO, oven cavity (1430). The plastic protector for one of the leads is a little burnt! I read in a similar post that a service technician placed the triggered TCO in a cup of ice in the freezer for ten minutes to reset it. I already ordered the new part (with additional halogen bulbs that are forever blowing) but I will try the freezer method to see if I can revitalize the existing TCO in the mean time. I love this micro/oven but this has got to be one of the worst designs ever!
magician59  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:29:48 AM(UTC)
magician59

I'm glad you found the problem. The makers of microwave ovens seem bent on frustrating us by placing the components in un-reachable places. Keep us updated on your progress.
frankiep77  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:17:16 AM(UTC)
frankiep77

FYI - I tried the TCO "Freezer Reset" fix. Prior to the freezer, the TCO had no continuity. After the freezer, the TCO had continuity with varying resistance. I reinstalled the TCO to no avail. I guess this TCO is fuse type or the freezer could not restore the TCO to it's original spec. I will re-post after I install the new unit. Hopefully I will have good news!
frankiep77  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 24, 2010 7:44:42 PM(UTC)
frankiep77

Good News! Installed the new TCO and the Micro came back to life. Thanks for the input Magician59. Just wondering how many unresourceful people tossed this unit due to a simple $15 DIY replacement part.
magician59  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 26, 2010 12:54:42 PM(UTC)
magician59

Well done! You're right. You saved yourself a ton of money both in repair bills and in replacement cost.
Eder  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2011 9:15:51 AM(UTC)
Eder

http://www.gunshowminute.com/mw...m_sca1000_sca1001_sm.pdf

Is a troubleshooting guide etc for this thing.
There are 3 TCO's in it ....magnetron should be closed,Cavity closed,hood tco will be normally open(this is the one on bottom of case behind the control panel.
glas0104  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:21:37 AM(UTC)
glas0104

Hi everyone,

I have had some issues with my Advantium 120 Above the Cooktop Oven model SCA1001HSS01. First the light in the microwave went out a couple months ago. The microwave still functioned fine just no light when the door was open or the unit was in use. Next, the surface light went out. Yesterday our electricity went out due to a storm and it seemed to be just fine. At dinner we cooked some frozen broccoli and when we took it out and closed the door we noticed it went out. It doesn't turn on at all!! To be honest we never use the convection cooking we just use it as a microwave. I purchased the appliances new when i built my home late 2004. Is it just time to replace it?

FYI- A year after I purchased my new home I did have to have it repairs to fix the interior light and it also needed a new Board ASM Main (according to my receipt).

How can I fix it?

LeAnn
Eder  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:42:00 AM(UTC)
Eder

I would check the 2 fuses that are inside this oven. Their location is mentioned in previous posts.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply