Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rhondalrowley  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 7:08:22 PM(UTC)
rhondalrowley

Groups: Registered

The water dispenser on my Whirlpool side by side quit dispensing water. The ice maker works fine only the water dispenser quit working. I do not get anything, no click, no hum no water. I just replaced the water inlet valve thinking that was the problem, but, still not working. I did notice before it quit I was getting air in the line. Any help?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 2:04:12 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a frozen water line in the door. Check your freezer temperature, if below zero, adjust your freezer control for a higher temperature.
Also, you can remove the dispenser housing and add insulation around the water line, or just rout further away from the inner panel.
Clogged condenser coils may also cause this problem.
rhondalrowley  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2007 7:09:37 AM(UTC)
rhondalrowley

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You might have a frozen water line in the door. Check your freezer temperature, if below zero, adjust your freezer control for a higher temperature.
Also, you can remove the dispenser housing and add insulation around the water line, or just rout further away from the inner panel.
Clogged condenser coils may also cause this problem.

I know the water line is not frozen. Someone mentioned a control bracket but I do not know where that is located. I still feel I should hear a noise when I push the bracket. Like a hum or a click?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:22:27 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You might have a bad micro switch in the door. Put meter on valve and have someone push the water dispenser. No voltage will verify a bad switch or wiring problem.
rhondalrowley  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:14:37 PM(UTC)
rhondalrowley

For anyone who has a ice/water dispenser in the door of their Whirlpool and your water quits dispensing, here are a few tips. First I was told to try the water valve located at the back of the fridge. Not the problem. Then I was told to check the freezer door, remove the screw out of the top and check the wiring. Not the problem and not very common. Then I was told to take of the front cover. VERY tricky. 99 out of 100 times you break the cover and it's EXPENSIVE. Why did Whirlpool make that so complicated? Got the cover off without breaking it... and found the problem. It was the bracket control. Very cheap part Whirlpool put in. Plastic! All I had to do was insert the new bracket and WOW now I have water.
jcinar  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2008 6:08:04 AM(UTC)
jcinar

Originally Posted by: rhondalrowley Go to Quoted Post
The water dispenser on my Whirlpool side by side quit dispensing water. The ice maker works fine only the water dispenser quit working. I do not get anything, no click, no hum no water. I just replaced the water inlet valve thinking that was the problem, but, still not working. I did notice before it quit I was getting air in the line. Any help?

The control bracket which holds the micro switches is made of molded plastic and breaks easily. On mine the part of the bracket that holds the switch for the water dispenser broke and the switch is then too loose to be operated by the dispenser lever. Pop off the molding around the dispenser and you will see the control bracket and switches and can then diagnose your problem.

To remove the molding use a butter or table knife (not sharp) and slip it under the molding at the bottom to pry it off. Once the bottom releases push down on the top of the molding while pulling and twisting on the loose bottom and the top should release. It is then easy to get to all the working parts for the dispenser.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply