Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gene  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 7:36:29 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You got the right hinges and you are saying there is nothing with the hinge receptacles... looks like the door frame or the inner door panel are slightly bend.

Gene.
michaelmag  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 3, 2008 4:19:07 PM(UTC)
michaelmag

Groups: Registered

I apologize, but I have just today checked this thread and seen the posts from RPDugan. The short answer is that my oven door still does not close. I don't see at all that my hinge mounting pins are adjustable. Unfortunately, in order for me to really check it out, I'd have to disconnect the gas feed (I have a gas cook top) and the down-draft vent duct in order to pull my oven out far enough to see if I can get to those pins. From the outside, though, I don't see at all how they'd be adjustable. So for now, I'm left with an oven door that doesn't close, and every time we use the oven we can feel heat escaping. And I've pulled the oven light bulb since it stayed on all the time with the button not being depressed. Would the hinge retainer or cover plate make a difference? should I replace those? I can't tell from a mechanical perspective why the door doesn't close. It's almost as if the spring just isn't short/taught enough. I don't see why a slightly bent inner door panel, like was mentioned for RPDugan, would make a difference. Mine doesn't look bent. But maybe I should whale away at it with a rubber mallet!!! (Just kidding). Gene, what are the chances you make house calls? Or, is this something my local appliance repair guy should be able to figure out? I'm out of warranty. The oven is 8 years old. Thanks for your help. I'll check back here more often. By the way. I said that my oven didn't look like that in the diagram because my hinge mounting pins run horizontally and part 6 that was referred to looks more vertical to me. Is there a horizontal steel pin inside that part? Thanks
Gene  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 4, 2008 1:47:55 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi michaelmag,

I found the Technical Bulletin issued by Maytag, concerning the same problem with the oven door like yours.

The model number of your range is not listed there, but I believe this is the only solution.

It is very important to replace both the door hinges and receptacles to have it work properly.

I do make a house calls but only in Orange County.

Gene.
michaelmag  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 6:04:16 PM(UTC)
michaelmag

So, Gene, I'll give replacing those hinge receptacles a try. How exactly do you get to them? It's really not clear to me from viewing the schematic just how to do that. And for the folks at this site. If I do that and the door still doesn't close, can I return hinges and the receptacles? Thanks.
Adam / APP Team  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 28, 2008 1:05:59 PM(UTC)
Adam / APP Team

Groups: Administrators

Dear michaelmag,

This is a follow up to a voicemail I left at your office about your order. Please call me toll free at 1-877-477-7278 X 105 between the hours of 7am-6pm PST to answer any questions you may have about parts you have ordered through us.

I will be glad to help :)
michaelmag  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:19:33 PM(UTC)
michaelmag

It's taken me too long to post, but I took Adam's advice and installed new hinge receptacles and that did, in fact, do the trick. Looking at the old receptacles when I had them out it was obvious that they had bent over time. So the service bulletin was right. If you replace the hinges, you should replace the receptacles as well. Now my light doesn't work and I'm thinking somehow my light socket got fried. Maybe because I pulled the bulb and left the glass off since the light was on all the time because my door didn't close all the way. does that sound right? Does the glass insulate the socket and prevent it from burning up?
michaelmag  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:20:22 PM(UTC)
michaelmag

I meant Gene's advice. Who's Adam, anyway?
rpdugan  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 11:19:30 AM(UTC)
rpdugan

How likely is it that these hinges have changed ever so slightly since my unit was new to where now the new hinges will not close my door tightly? I think I have tried everything... Hate to spring for $2500 for a new oven when this is all that is wrong with it....
Gene  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 11:36:35 AM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: rpdugan Go to Quoted Post
...I think I have tried everything...

What did you do?

Gene.
rpdugan  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 11:41:20 AM(UTC)
rpdugan

relaced the hinges twice...replace the recepticles once...

I now see that my new receptibles are in fact bent badly...but I knwo the original ones I replaced several months ago looked perfect...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply