Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DIYMrC  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:46:01 PM(UTC)
DIYMrC

Groups: Registered

My GE gas dryer is taking longer to dry clothes, after the cycles ends clothes still damp in seams, pockets, thicker areas. I hear the burner ignite and it burns for about a minute and then shuts off. Then after 30 to 40 seconds, I hear the burner reignite and repeats the short burn cycle. Burner not on long enough to reach high heat. What is the problem and the fix? I hope an expert can help me out. Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 8:02:11 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Check for a clogged or restricted vent.
DIYMrC  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 8:55:43 AM(UTC)
DIYMrC

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
Check for a clogged or restricted vent.

Will do. In the past I have cleaned the unit of lint, however, I only cleaned the front panel of the unit. Meaning the lint trap and blower areas. This time I will go further by removing the drum and clean the diffuser assembly. I suspect the dryer sheets cause the air path parts to become coated and therefore enabling lint to adhere to air path surfaces.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 9:18:06 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Pay particular attention to the external vent, especially if there is a long distance from your dryer to the outside. In my area, they build houses with the vents going through the roof...Arrrrggghhhh.
DIYMrC  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 26, 2010 9:45:05 AM(UTC)
DIYMrC

Originally Posted by: magician59 Go to Quoted Post
Pay particular attention to the external vent, especially if there is a long distance from your dryer to the outside. In my area, they build houses with the vents going through the roof...Arrrrggghhhh.

I appreciate your suggestion, however, for my home the laundry is located in the garage and so the external vent is very short. The vent is immediately behind the unit. But I know what you mean, there are 2 story home out here and the laundry room located NOT adjacent to exterior walls so the exhaust vent path run through ceilings for over 12 ft. I suppose those vents would be cleaned ala chimney flues.
DIYMrC  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 3, 2010 11:22:56 PM(UTC)
DIYMrC

Originally Posted by: DIYMrC Go to Quoted Post
I appreciate your suggestion, however, for my home the laundry is located in the garage and so the external vent is very short. The vent is immediately behind the unit. But I know what you mean, there are 2 story home out here and the laundry room located NOT adjacent to exterior walls so the exhaust vent path run through ceilings for over 12 ft. I suppose those vents would be cleaned ala chimney flues.

Did the job today and I did not find a lint blockage. There was quite a bit of lint build-up behind the blower fan. I removed the fan, and thoroughly cleaned out the lint. I also cleaned the fan in water and dish detergent. Cleaned the blower box and the exhaust pipe and the connector pipe to the external vent; no blockages found. The load was dry, and I used the normal time setting as I used to use. So far so good.