Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

22 Pages«<34567>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SpartanRookie  
#41 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 1:13:02 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

Groups: Registered

Even if the voltage is correct at the motherboard connector, but the path is not showing continuity on the yellow wire, motherboard is still bad? Any idea how to get to the full wiring between motherboard and that connector to the fan? It's 8 years old, but seems to be fine producing cold air, just not distributing it via the fan in the freezer.
Also, so you think it could need a motherboard, evaporator fan, evaporator motor, or just partial items. I can test the fan using external DC sources, which I will try later.
SpartanRookie  
#42 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 1:20:20 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

More to the story....
Just tried ohming path from motherboard to connector inside freezer supplying voltages to fan, the red and white paths ohm to 0, but the yellow/yellow does not ohm out, like the connection is somehow broke. This seems very weird to me, as it seems the cable from the motherboard to evaporator fan has somehow went bad. Am I thinking of this logically, or missing something still?
where might i find schematic to this fridge, also, any other motherboard points to check if it is blown, seems odd I would get the proper voltages at the connector going to the evaporator fan if the motherboard was blown. I am EE major, so not worried about replacing anything, this just isn't making logical sense at this point. I just have never done refridgerator repair.
richappy  
#43 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 3:42:47 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The schematic I have shows square wave between J2 connector pin 3 and 1, not a dc level, frequency between 100 to 220 Hz. Pin 4 is the third wire.
Hope this clears things up. The schematics I have show no wire color.
SpartanRookie  
#44 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 4:06:37 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

R u referring to the fan motor checks? I am still feeling the yellow wire has a short in it going to evaporator fan, I am sure other problems will be evident, but I am in the process of pulling that cable off to prove it is bad, disassembling the unit now. Once I verify that cable, I will do the checks you refer to above.
SpartanRookie  
#45 Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 4:13:37 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

So I think for my model the voltage to the fan motor is also supplied on the blue wire, not the yellow, and I have confirmed the proper voltage is not present at the connector going to the evaporator fan unit (only 4.75VDC). Also verified my evaporator fan motor is shorted, so need to replace mainboard and the fan motor/fan. Priced it out and it is $200 shipped overnight, so not too bad.
Appreciate the advice Gene, I just go threw off by thinking the yellow wire was my model #, turns out it is the blue wire supplying voltage to the fan motor. Trying to give it voltage, but not enough as the fan motor requires 7.5VDC. I would like to modify the circuit for this, but can't go without refridgerator too long, so taking the easy way out.
Will post results once I swap the parts. Thanks again, this forum is very helpful.
SpartanRookie  
#46 Posted : Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:08:37 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

Received my motherboard and evaporator fan today, swapped them out and all is well. Thanks for the great help on these forums. For others with my model type, the evaporator fan quit spinning, and the voltages were not normal at the connector feeding the fan. As RicHappy suggested, this means the motherboard and evaporator fan need swapping. I did exactly that and the new fan spins like a champ. All is well now. Thanks again.
richappy  
#47 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2010 12:22:38 AM(UTC)
richappy

To protect this from failing again, I would use a surge protector in the wall outlet to this fridg, just get a 1000 joule one made for refrigerators in a blue box available at Lowe's,$12.95
SpartanRookie  
#48 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2010 7:08:00 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

will certainly do that, thanks for the tip.
SpartanRookie  
#49 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 4:38:32 PM(UTC)
SpartanRookie

had a ? about it running, my wife said something on the top shelf of the fridge was froze today, everything else seems fine. I had temp settings at 5/5, does this seem odd? My new fan didn't have a thermister with it, so I cut the wire attaching the motherboard, could that be the problem? If so I could easily get a new fan with a thermister and resolder the wire.
richappy  
#50 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2010 6:42:13 PM(UTC)
richappy

You might want to check your two fresh food thermister resistances, you can measure them at the motherboard J1-pin 5 to J1-pin 1 and two. Also, you can open both the freezer door and fridg door, turn off the light in the fridg, and look for the freezer light shining in from the freezer showing the damper door is open all the way.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply