Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

30 Pages«<1415161718>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JoshHussey  
#151 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:20:17 PM(UTC)
JoshHussey

Groups: Registered

Thanks Gene. I appreciate your reply. I installed the new control board and both the condenser fan and the evaporator fans seem to be functioning normally. If they could be going bad and look ok let me know and I will replace them thanks a lot for your help. Regards, Josh.
Gene  
#152 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:58:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You are welcome Josh.

If there is nothing wrong with the fan motors so far, let them run. Nobody can predict how much longer they would last, but hopefully long enough.

Happy Holidays and good luck with your refrigerator.

Gene.
pupkin  
#153 Posted : Friday, December 4, 2009 1:45:24 PM(UTC)
pupkin

I have a 4.5-year old GE Profile bottom-freezer fridge, model # PDS22SBRRSS. We had a power outage 2.5 weeks ago, and when power came back, the fridge started clicking in the back and temperature indicators went off. After clicking for a while, it came back to life and ran normally for 10 days. Then clicking and temperature indicator problems came back. Every few hours I would have a "clicking session" with a click every 1.5 seconds, which continued anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Temperature indicators sometimes didn't work at all, sometimes showed incorrect (too low) temperatures. I called GE, they scheduled a service call and said the parts would be free and a $90 home call charge would be waived, but I would have to pay for labor. I asked how much, but they couldn't tell. The guy came today with a new board (WR55X10942 on the box), replaced the board in less than 10 minutes, and charged me $190 for labor. The problem may be gone, but $190 for 10 minutes of work?! Even a good lawyer costs less! Feels like an extortion. So I have a few questions, in case anybody can help:

- Based on recent experiences, is $190 the going GE rate for labor involved in simple replacement of a fridge board? Don't know if location matters, I am in Massachusetts.

- Is the board replacement program discussed earlier in this thread still alive, where replacing the board for certain fridge model/serial #s would cost $100 total if the fridge is 3-5 years old?

- Is it reasonable to ask the utility company to reimburse me for the repair, given that a power outage triggered the damage?

Thanks
davecramer74  
#154 Posted : Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:14:28 PM(UTC)
davecramer74

Hey gents,

i have the dreaded clicking. first i got up this morning and went to get ice and the light just went off on the display. After a couple tries i unplugged the fridge and plugged back in hoping for the best. After that, i opened the freezer to see what was going on and the clicking started and it started warming up. Lovely...:(

model # is GSH25JSRF

So should the system board resolve my issue? Its going to cost me 200 bones from my local dealer. I really dont want to wait and order online for cheaper. Is the model # all i need to get the right board?

Great help here by the way. lots of happy folks on here. Im hoping to be one of them. 100 bucks sounds alot better than 1500+ for a new fridge considering xmas is in 3 weeks!

the house was built in '03 so im assuming not under warranty. i just dont want to waste 200 bones and not fix it if its a compressor issue or something.

also, i could see the fan's shadow while looking in the freezer move everytime it clicked. im hoping thats good news and all i need is this board.
Gene  
#155 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 1:00:10 PM(UTC)
Gene

Most likely the problem is a bad main control board (#801 on the diagram). The good news is - Appliance Parts Pros has it in stock and you will have it Wednesday if you order it today. So why to pay $70 more?

- The main control board Part number: AP4436216
Part number: AP4436216

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for General Electric GSH25JSRFSS Refrigerator | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
P.S. It's better to unplug the refrigerator and keep it off until fixed to prevent more damages.
davecramer74  
#156 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 2:50:43 PM(UTC)
davecramer74

ya its unplugged. Thanks for the link Gene. I had scheduled repair to come out, but i think ill just go with ordering the board.

edit: pulled the trigger and ordered the board. cancelled my service call. i figure if 146 bones was worth the shot.

Gene, if this doesnt resolve, whats involved to replace the compressor? My thoughts were that if it doesnt work, im buying a new fridge and this one is on garage duty and a project for me, hehe. It would be a nice fridge to store my beer and meat out the garage. :>

Ive been building servers and pc's for years, so i was ok with swapping out a system board. Messing with actual mechanical parts on the other hand...
Gene  
#157 Posted : Monday, December 7, 2009 4:47:56 PM(UTC)
Gene

Faulty main control board is very common problem for GE refrigerators for more than ten years, so I believe a new board would solve it.

Gene.
davecramer74  
#158 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:02:11 PM(UTC)
davecramer74

Gene, has anyone told you, YOU RULE! It fixed my fridge!!!! Man i am so glad i spent an hour googling this issue and stumbled accross these boards. Thank you VERY MUCH. You just made our christmas. I thought for sure i was going to be out of 1000 bucks. :D

p.s. i did take your advice and ordered from you guys as well.

Another note, you guys should create a facebook page. I'm sure that would generate a ton of business once you had some people added. I gave you a nice plug on my page :>
Gene  
#159 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:34:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Dave,

Thank you for your good words. I'm glad you are back in business.

Happy Holidays!

Gene.
davecramer74  
#160 Posted : Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:59:23 PM(UTC)
davecramer74

Thanks Gene, and happy holidays to you as well! I thought id mention that I had a howling, not humming sound from the fridge since i bought this house. That might be good info for future posters on other threads complaining about that. That sound is now completely gone. Sounds like a normal fridge now. It will save them the 2-3 days i went without a fridge by just replacing that board.

Gene, do you know if this board is new and improved or will this be a 5 year plan for me? Either way, if that howling comes back, ill be back! Hopefully i dont hear it for awhile and i can point towards the board.