Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Espritman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:22:50 AM(UTC)
Espritman

Groups: Registered

I'm helping a friend with her sick dryer which starts okay but runs slowly then slows and stops within 5 minutes. What should I look for?
Thanks,
Espitman
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:41:12 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

I assume that when you say it slows you are talking about the motor sllowing and the drum slowing until it stops.

Sounds very much like the motor is failing. How long after it stops do you have to wait until you can start it up again?
Espritman  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:05:51 AM(UTC)
Espritman

Originally Posted by: sidfink43 Go to Quoted Post
I assume that when you say it slows you are talking about the motor sllowing and the drum slowing until it stops.

Sounds very much like the motor is failing. How long after it stops do you have to wait until you can start it up again?

Thank you, Sidfink
Approximately 24 hour to start again.
Espritman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:49:18 AM(UTC)
Espritman

Originally Posted by: Espritman Go to Quoted Post
Thank you, Sidfink
Approximately 24 hour to start again.

sidfink43,
I've removed the rear panel of the Kenmore dryer. There does not appear to be easy access to the drive motor which, although I cannot see it fully, a flashlight shown through one of the access holes at the right bottom, allows me to see that the motor appears to be located under the drum in the left hand corner as I face the rear of the machine. I was able to raise the top of the dryer which gave me access to 2 corner screws removable from the inside. The front panel is now attached only at the bottom. Do I access the motor by removing this front panel? If so, what holds it to the bottom of the dryer? If not, how do I access the drum drive motor? Once I do that, can the motor be removed and lubricated in hopes that will solve the problem or must I purchase a new motor? Thank you for your excellent support.
Espritman
sidfink43  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:46:43 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

You have it right.

After you take off the front (it lifts off) you can remove the drum (after releasing the belt) and that will allow you to access the motor.

I do not think lubricating the motor will solve the problem, but you can certainly try that route. The symptoms you describe are those of a motor which overheats as it is failing, then cools down, and is able to run again briefly.

I wish we could be more definitive because the motor is relatively expensive, but given that the dryer works at least part of the time the diagnosis would point to the motor.

Good luck, let us know what happens.
juancar92236  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:22:23 PM(UTC)
juancar92236

if u can use a ampro to see how many amps your motor is using if the motor works with more of the amps that is espicify by the motor plate that cause the over heating
Espritman  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 12:18:08 PM(UTC)
Espritman

It lifts off..... geez. I won't be near the machine again for a couple of weeks. In the meanwhile, she's taking your advice, using the dryer briefly and then the 'never fails' solution.

You said the motor is expensive - can you give me an approximate or range, $50, $100, $150? Thank you again.
sidfink43  
#8 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 12:36:50 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Here is the motor for your machine, actually not too bad

Part number: AP3094245
Part number: AP3094245

Good luck, hope this does the job.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply