Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wnorton  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:21:20 PM(UTC)
wnorton

Groups: Registered

The freezer stopped freezing last night. Temp is at 40 degrees. The refrigerator is staying at the 40 degrees too.

A new compressor, starting device and defrost timer were replaced in 2009, as well as a few other internal parts. It has run perfectly until today.

The fan is running and I can feel the compressor running too. The compressor is not overly hot to the touch. I have turned off & On the power switch a couple of times today and can her the compressor go on a short time after I have restarted the unit.

I did rotate the temp control buttons from min to max (but not to stop) on both the frig and freezer sections to see if that would have any effect on temp control and it did not.

Any ideas on what might be the cause of the problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:18:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for KitchenAid KSSS42QDX05 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

Confirm that the compressor is on all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle.
Confirm that the condenser/compressor fan is running and that the evaporator/freezer fan are running.

I am assuming that you have already checked the door seals for leakage.

If all OK then it is either a sealed system problem again or a defrost problem.

Remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the coils.
If they are heavily iced/frosted over then it is a defrost problem.
If there is just frost in one area (usually where the freon enters the coils) then it is a sealed system problem.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
wnorton  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:25:54 PM(UTC)
wnorton

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the door seals are all fine. Both the internal and external fans are running.

Had a tech come out today and look it over. Found 120 volts at compressor on red, black & white wires-tested correctly. Bimetal checks out ok. Found a small patch of frost on coils behind panel in freezer compartment. System runs all the time because it cannot come to temp. Freezer stays at about 40 degrees and the refrigerator at about 48 degrees.

Tech said it is probably a leak in the closed system. Cost est is $1,500 to $1,800 minimum to repair. Tech said compressor would need to be replaced.

Since all of the closed system was replaced in 2009 why should the compressor need replacing? Shouldn't they only need to find the leak, repair it and recharge the system?
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:42:41 PM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Since all of the closed system was replaced in 2009 why should the compressor need replacing? Shouldn't they only need to find the leak, repair it and recharge the system?[/COLOR]
I really cannot say but did you ask the tech who came out these questions.

Perhaps the leak is in the compressor.

Even if the compressor was good the leak would have to be found and repaired, the dryer would probably have to be replaced and then the sytem refilled.
wnorton  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:49:52 AM(UTC)
wnorton

The tech that came out yesterday unfortunately was not a closed system tech. She merely did some quick tests on easy to see/touch areas and didn't even pull the unit out to look for any issue on the other 4 sides.

In 2009 when a leak appeared it was very apparent from the compressor oil and related fluid of the system near where the leak was found. No such mess was seen by me or the tech in performing a visual from the front side of the unit. The compressor can be seen very easily from the front and nothing appears out of the ordinary. I believe that when they rebuilt the system in 2009 they put a dye pack in with the Freon so that they could easily find any potential leak areas upon completion of the recharge. This should hopefully make the hunt for the leak easier.

With all of the above and below in terms of analysis, I guess my question still remains the same...why replace the compressor if it still runs? Is a closed system under positive or negative pressure? If it is positive and some Freon leaks out causing the system to not cool enough...yet it still cools, then the likelihood that contaminates have entered the closed system is not high, right? So the compressor contamination issue should be null...right?

Just trying to figure out why they seem to think the compressor needs replacing. When the tech yesterday said the cost to repair would be in the $1,800 range and I asked why, she said it was because the compressor needed to be replaced. When I asked why she could not come up with a good answer. The company is sending out a closed system tech on Friday to confirm what has been found so far and hopefully provide more info.
denman  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 12:48:43 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]With all of the above and below in terms of analysis, I guess my question still remains the same...why replace the compressor if it still runs?[/COLOR]
Perhaps you new tech can tell you. I do not know why the tech made this diagnosis. But since gauges were not put on the unit I would say that the diagnosis is premature to say the least.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Is a closed system under positive or negative pressure?
If it is positive and some Freon leaks out causing the system to not cool enough...yet it still cools, then the likelihood that contaminates have entered the closed system is not high, right? So the compressor contamination issue should be null...right?[/COLOR]
Again I cannot say without knowing where the leak is or if there is a leak.

The new tech should be able to answer these questions for you.
I would just be second guessing someone who is actually there.
wnorton  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 8:47:19 AM(UTC)
wnorton

Denman

Thank you again for your timely responses.

Can you tell me if the Kitchenaid closed system when running correctly has a positive or negative pressure?

If there is a leak but the system is still cooling a bit, would this compromise the integrity of the compressor?

If so, how would it?

Many thanks!
denman  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 31, 2015 12:55:14 AM(UTC)
denman

wnorton  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2015 7:12:43 PM(UTC)
wnorton

Two techs arrived Friday at 2 pm and proceeded to run tests and pulled the back of the frig off. Found a factory tube where the braze has begun to fail, thereby causing a leak and the low performance of the total system.

Will need to replace the drier and a few other parts...rough estimate coming in around $1,300.

Going to ask Kitchen aid if they will help with the parts cost since the problem seems to be caused by MFR defect. Any advice with this process?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply