Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rleescott  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:07:59 AM(UTC)
rleescott

Groups: Registered

kebs276wbl0, Kitchenaid.
Double oven, upper oven works fine. Lower oven, turn to bake 350, no red light no heat. Continue advancing temp dial to broil, light comes on and broil element heats up. Change selector to broil and turn themostat up, no light till reaches broil, then light on and broiling element heats properly. Bake element does come on, but only when broil setting is reached, so both elements are good.
Is it the selector switch or the thermostat, and how do I confirm?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 3:42:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool KEBS276WBL0 Range - AppliancePartsPros.com

Most parts in this unit are no longer available.

See the attachment for mode wiring.

[COLOR="Blue"]
Bake element does come on, but only when broil setting is reached, so both elements are good.[/COLOR]
This seems weird to me as in m ost units the bake element is not used when in a broil setting.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is it the selector switch or the thermostat, and how do I confirm?[/COLOR]
It may not make any difference unless you can find a supplier who still has the parts.
My guess would be the selector switch as it has to connect in the bake element during bake.
Note: that the light is just showing when the broil element is getting power.
You would have to unplug the unit and then measure the resistances of the circuit paths for the different modes as per the attached sheet.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
rleescott  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 4:57:17 AM(UTC)
rleescott

Thanks for the reply. I will double check when the bake element turns red. I mentioned it primarily so you would know the element itself is not bad. Your comment that the red light means power is being supplied to the thermostat is interesting. Does the selector switch send power to the thermostat? If so, why is the tstat light off thru the temp ranges but comes on when the temp dial reaches broil? The selector is still parked at the same place. I cannot find the attachment you provided for wiring. Where is it located? Thanks.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 5:30:22 AM(UTC)
denman

Looks like my attachment did not get through so here is a second try at it.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Your comment that the red light means power is being supplied to the thermostat is interesting. Does the selector switch send power to the thermostat?[/COLOR]
Yes they are all part of a series circuit with the bake and broil elements wired in parallel.
The selector switch does use different contact sets depending on the setting.
Also inside the switch will be a cam so you cannot rely on a certain contact set being OK if it works in one mode does not nmean it is OK in another mode.
For instance LOWER OVEN BROIL and LOWER OVEN BAKE both use Selector Switch contacts G to 6 but they may close in one mode but not the other.
Since you turn the selector switch the contacts are close by a different part of the cam.
Hope I explained this OK.

[COLOR="Blue"]If so, why is the tstat light off thru the temp ranges but comes on when the temp dial reaches broil?[/COLOR]
This could be due to the thermostat being bad again the only reliable way is to get out your meter and check it.
Although you did not come right out and say it I somehow got the impression that the temperature switch (thermostat) did work when set to a certain temperature dependent on the mode.

If this is not the case and you never get any heat when the thermostat is set to a temperature then I revise my earlier reply and the thermostat becomes the most likely culprit.
File Attachment(s):
KEBS276.pdf (141kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
rleescott  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 5:52:03 AM(UTC)
rleescott

I got the diagram. Thanks. There is no heat to the bake element for any temp setting until the temp dial rotates all the way to the broil setting. At that moment, the red light comes on. I am not sure now, but I believe the bake element heats at this point, even though it is a broil setting, but certainly the broil element heats. Does this confirm the tstat is bad?
denman  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 11:32:00 AM(UTC)
denman

It does sound like the thermostat. Try bake and broil with the thermostat at a temperature setting. If neither the bake or the broil element come on then I would say it is the thermostat.

At room temperature the thermostat contacts should be closed.
rleescott  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:29:18 AM(UTC)
rleescott

I checked again prior to disassembly for vom check. When the selector is turned to bake, and then the temp is moved up the scale, there is no oven light and no heat, until I reach the broil setting, at which point the light comes on and heat occurs. This identical result occurs when the selector is turned to broil and the temp dial is turned.
denman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:06:16 AM(UTC)
denman

OK does sound like a bad thermostat but I would check it with a meter just to be sure. Unless you can find a supplier for the thermostat this may be the end of this units lifetime.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply