Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
askjim  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 10:52:12 AM(UTC)
askjim

Groups: Registered

My Kenmore (LG) Elite doesn't have water going to the ice maker. The water through the door is fine. I replaced the ice maker module because I thought it wasn't rotating. I found the manual switch and the tray rotates. I hear what I think is the water valve come on and stop after a reasonable time, but no water in the tray. I put water in the tray and it froze and ejected the ice. I don't see any leaking water laying around. Could the tube to the tray have iced up? This is the bottom freezer, French door, 31 cu foot model. Thank you in advance, Jim.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 1:33:43 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

Check the water valve behind the machine. It may have a bad solenoid. Here's the one you need: LG AJU72992603 Valve Assembly,water - AppliancePartsPros.com
askjim  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 2:33:59 PM(UTC)
askjim

Thank you for your reply. I pulled it out and saw the valve. It only has one tube going into the interior. I went to the spot where the tube goes in and a tube comes out going to the ice maker(?). I disconnected the tube going to ice maker and pressed the cycle button on the ice tray. Water came out (2/3 cup) I put the tye wrap up the tube also. I took the ice maker assy. out and looked at the water tube. It looked red inside. I inserted a 10" plastic tye wrap in and got a couple of drops of water. I reassy. and pushed the cycle buttom - cycled but no water. Any thoughts on what to do now?
Best regards, Jim.
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 3:45:38 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

If you have 110 VAC at the solenoid and it's not opening the valve its shot. Replace the water valve.
askjim  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:14:58 AM(UTC)
askjim

I HAVE water at the door. I HAVE water coming out the back going to the ice maker tube. I don't have water at what I think is the other end of that tube. What's between the tube in top right corner of the back and the ice maker tray tube? Regards. Jim.
rickgburton  
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 1:39:42 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

A hole! Jim, if you don't have a way to check the valve, I can't help you.
askjim  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 4:43:17 PM(UTC)
askjim

Rick, if I have water to the dispencer in the front how can the valve not be working? A hole Jim.
TommyK  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:20:10 PM(UTC)
TommyK

Originally Posted by: askjim Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your reply. I pulled it out and saw the valve. It only has one tube going into the interior. I went to the spot where the tube goes in and a tube comes out going to the ice maker(?). I disconnected the tube going to ice maker and pressed the cycle button on the ice tray. Water came out (2/3 cup) I put the tye wrap up the tube also. I took the ice maker assy. out and looked at the water tube. It looked red inside. I inserted a 10" plastic tye wrap in and got a couple of drops of water. I reassy. and pushed the cycle buttom - cycled but no water. Any thoughts on what to do now?
Best regards, Jim.

From the OP's description, he's proved the solenoid valve works. However, water isn't getting much beyond the solenoid valve. For the experts: is it supposed to look red inside? Could be a hunk of something red is stuck up there. Rust, maybe? Can you blow into the tube, with the something red inside, backwards? i.e. from the ice maker, towards the water supply if it were hooked up?
rickgburton  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:20:28 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Jim, most refrigerators use a dual coil water valve. I do remember seeing an LG that used only a single coil water valve. Is yours the single coil?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply