Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jim R  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 12:34:33 PM(UTC)
Jim R

Groups: Registered

Hello,
The defrost system in my 5 year old GE side by side refrigerator Model # SSS25SGPASS is no longer working. The coil iced up last week and caused the refrigerator to get warm. After reading other threads on this problem; I removed the rear panel in the freezer and found the evaporator coil fully iced over. I defrosted the coil using a hair dryer, but the rear panel back in, and plugged the refrigerator back in. It worked fine for four days but then the temperature in the refrigerator started to rise. I again pulled the rear panel in the freezer; only to find it completely iced up again.

In reading other threads with this problem, I see it points to the defrost system. I see the defrost thermostat and heater in the parts listing for this model but cannot find a defrost timer. Is this integrated into the main control board? And how do I check the defrost thermostat and heater, to eliminate them as the problem?

Thank you for any help you can offer, Jim R
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.