Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

207 Pages<12345>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Longjack  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 12:38:15 PM(UTC)
Longjack

Groups: Registered

Gene,
HELP... have a refrig in a cottage on a remote island in the Bahamas thats been givng me a fit, as it has sat idle for about 4/5 years and now that I got it running (had to clean the defrost fan), seems to run fine for a while (a few days) and then the refrig goes warm. However, before getting to that point, it frig compartment gets way too cold, and it constantly runs.
When the frig does get to the warm stage, I remove the back freezer panel and usually see a lot of frost build up in the damper ventway. I clean it out, and am good to good for another few days, but again the frig gets near freezing afdter a couple days.
Am a littel confused after reading about your test on the defrost timer, as I rotate the timer with a screwdirver, which causes it to stop running and the defrost heater comes on. (From your post, does that mean the timer is bad?)
I was actaully thinking the cold control had gone bad and that's why it was running all the time... or could both the defrost timer and cold control be bad?
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Gene  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 5:23:34 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Good job, Thanster!

I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Gene.
Gene  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2008 5:44:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Longjack,

Your question has been answered here: http://forum.appliancepartspros...alling-cold-control.html

Gene.
Norm Poulin  
#24 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2008 1:56:49 PM(UTC)
Norm Poulin

Hello, I have a Kenmore limited edition Side by Side model number 596.51673100. I dont see break down diagram of the my fridge on the search page so I cant find the defrost time to trip it. I took the white box off the controls in the fridge side and dont see it there. Is it in the freezer half? If so where at? My fridge side is not as cold as it should be. I turn the temp all the way up and it gets cold finally. Freezer is fine. There is no frost on the back panel of my freezer.
bohemian  
#25 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:29:19 PM(UTC)
bohemian

I can't locate my GE Profile fridge (GSS22JEPHBB) on this website. I have been struggling with this exact same issue for the past 6 months. At that time while looking for a solution I found out that there was a recall on the computer controller board for my model so I replaced it and the problem disappeared.

Recently, about 6 weeks ago the problem re-appeared and I have done manual defrosting twice since hoping that the problem will go away. Well, it hasn't and I am looking for a permanent solution now. While doing so I stumbled upon this thread and wanted to try out the steps recommended.

I opened up the rear panel of the freezer and the evaporator coil was completely frosted up. The whole thing looked like a frosty block of ice. I couldn't even visually locate the defrost timer, heater or the thermostat. I have unplugged the fridge and will try and locate them once everything is defrosted.

Meanwhile, it would be great if I could get my hands on the breakdown diagrams.
Gene  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:57:17 PM(UTC)
Gene

Norm,

If there is no frost on the back panel in the freezer than there is nothing wrong with the defrost system.

Check if cold air is coming in the refrigerator through the damper control (in the upper left corner in the refrigerator).

Check if the fan in the freezer blows air.

Post your findings.

Gene.
Gene  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:00:54 PM(UTC)
Gene

bohemian,

There is no defrost timer in your fridge. The defrost cycle controls by the main control board on the back of the fridge.

Unplug the refrigerator, remove the wire from the "defrost heater" terminal (J9) on the control board and measure the resistance between this wire and the neutral orange wire (pin 9 on the J7 connector). The freezer must be cold at this time.

If the reading is about 22 Ohms then the main control board has to be replaced. It is recommended to replace the board together with both freezer thermistors.

If the circuit is open then you have to remove the rear panel in the freezer and check the defrost heater (#230 on the break down diagram)and the overtemperature thermostat (#240 on the break down diagram) for continuity.

If any one of them is open - it has to be replaced.

- The part number for the main control board is AP3950129

- The part number for the defrost heater is AP3183868

- The part number for the overtemperature thermostat is AP3884317

- The part number for the freezer thermistors (they are identical) is AP3185407

Gene.
bohemian  
#28 Posted : Sunday, April 27, 2008 2:57:52 PM(UTC)
bohemian

Thanks for the info Gene. Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town for a couple of weeks. I just got back and tried out a couple of things that you recommended. Here's what I found out ...

1. On the main control board I couldn't figure out which one was the "defrost terminal wire" to remove and check with pin 9 on j7 connector ?

2. I disconnected the defrost heater to checked for continuity and it showed 150 mega ohms resistance which I believe should be considered as open. Anyways, I took the defrost heater unit apart and found out that a small section of the heating coil was burnt out. I stretched out the coil a bit and intertwined the two ends and checked the resistance and it showed 5 mega ohms. Don't know if that's ok but I reassembled the unit and connected it back in. Hopefully now the coil will heat up and defrost the condenser coil.

I hope that solves my problem. In any case I am going to order the defrost heater and replace it. Just want to find out if that is the only problem or do I have issues with the defrost thermostat too.

3. Moreover, I couldn't figure out how to check for continuity on the defrost thermostat easily without removing the icemaker unit so I put that on hold for some time. If hardwiring the defrost heater coil does the trick then I'll know that I need to order just that.

I'll post my findings soon.

Thanks again Gene.
Grayelve  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:39:57 AM(UTC)
Grayelve

Hi Gene Your intro on this thread really is helpful. I see frost on the back of the freezer cover. So will open that up and have a see. I am not having any luck finding a parts list/diagram for this Crosley Conservator Model # CR11FFWR. Can you help me out with this :confused: ? Will pull the frig out and have a look on the back for a print that may help. But if I need parts at this point I am out of luck. My daughter did have the freezer packed pretty good so maybe poor air circulation is the problem ... that would be nice. Thanks in advance.
Gene  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 30, 2008 1:36:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Grayelve,

What was the original problem?

The model number you posted does not come up and I can not tell you exactly which part where is located. Verify the model number and repost it. Also if this is not American model then we are not able to get any information.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply