Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ben1313  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:20:14 PM(UTC)
ben1313

Groups: Registered

How on earth does one go about removing the hub nut (big nut under agitator)? I have tried and tried but cannot get it off. The washer is a little more than 2 years old and the mode shifter (shaft and tube assembly) has busted. I'm trying to replace it but cannot get that damn hub nut off. I've sprayed it with plenty of wd-40 and pounded at it with a wrench and hammer. I know it turns clockwise. What should I do???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:54:00 PM(UTC)
applianceman

Normally they come off somewhat easy but at times I have had to heat the nut with a torch. Using a torch may damage the spin basket so before you get to that point you may want to try a larger hammer (I use a 2 pound hammer) or if you are not using it already the actual tool made for taking this nut off part number WX5X1325. http://www.appliance-repair-it.com/GE-washer-disassembly.html
Note that the washer shown in that guide is an older T model but disassembly is the same.
ben1313  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:13:05 PM(UTC)
ben1313

Thank you very much, I wasn't aware there was an expensive special tool for such a small part of the disassembly process. I have a wrench that fits it perfectly but the nut is just WAY too tight. I will try your suggestions. That link is also very helpful. Thanks again for the help.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply