Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
heinzincew  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 12:35:57 PM(UTC)
heinzincew

Groups: Registered

I just received the washer from some guy, and it worked awesome for three weeks, then it started making a noise during the spin cycle. The noise got louder with every load, so I had to investigate. What I found was the hub nut was loose causing the basket to rub on the bottom of the tub, and the split ring was shrinking, there was metal dust from the split ring all over in the tub and around the hub. So I purchase a new hub washer, split ring, hub nut, and drive bell and reassembled everything. I have a channelocks that fit inside the tub to tighten the hub nut, and had another channelocks on the shaft below the tub to tighten it as good as I could with that. Anyways, it worked for a few loads, then I noticed it getting a little louder in the spin cycle and found that the hub nut had come loose again. I am wondering if there is supposed to be a "key" in the hub that fits into the "split" of the split ring and it was just worn out when the nut first came loose(that is, should I replace the hub?), or do I just need to add some locktite and crank on the hub nut harder with a pipe wrench or something? Can I use a pipe wrench on the shaft under the tub? Also, any ideas on what happened to cause the nut to come loose in the first place? Thank you so much for any help you can offer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:20:37 PM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You need to pound on that left hand thread tub nut with a special spanner wrench available on this parts site, will never get it tight with a pipe wrench.
heinzincew  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:42:07 PM(UTC)
heinzincew

I can only find spanner wrench part number AP4503397, but this lists only Maytag washers. Will it work for my GE washer? Also, Do I need to hold the shaft with a pipe wrench or just pound on the spanner wrench and leave the shaft able to spin like an impact to the wrench? Thanks again for your help.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:24:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

You must use the GE spanner wrench and NOT a universal one. You will never get it tight enough with the universal one and you should use a heavy hammer on it. Also, inspect all surfaces, if any are worn out, you will have problems.
Admin / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 10:50:32 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This is the GE spanner wrench. Pretty expensive. We are checking to see if the less expensive Gemline spanner wrench still comes with the GE adapter. Last I heard, it no longer did. I will post an update once we get the info.

Part number: AP2614008
Admin / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:06:49 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Looks like the Gemline / PRO spanner wrench DOES include the GE adapter. It's about a third of the price of the GE wrench. What do you think, Rich? Will it be good enough?

Good in stock. Part number: AP4503397
richappy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:22:01 PM(UTC)
richappy

You might want to post the use of this wrench to get other inputs. I have the identical wrench and found it virtually unusable to remove the usually jamed GE tub nut. Like using a cheap sheet steel socket on a hot water heater element, it's just too sloppy a fit to get the element out. I use a pro. socket for this and I ground it down to get the best grip on the element.
If you compare the two pictures, you will see the expensive one has precision cut socket surfaces, while the other one has cast surfaces.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply