Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Joe / APP Team  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 17, 2011 5:15:16 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: scubadennis Go to Quoted Post
So I just replaced the inner metal drum. Two of the three spider arms on the back were cracked right through. Corrosion from soap. Anyway the bearings seem fine, so I only had to purchase the metal drum (ony way to get the spider arms as they are not sold separately.) Took all day as I had never attempted this before. But, excellent directions can be found at
http://www.applianceaid.com/417_Frigidaire_washer.html

Thanks for the update

I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference.

Glad you're up and running.

Good Luck,

:D :D :D
inetjnky  
#22 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:14:28 AM(UTC)
inetjnky

Groups: Registered

I have this exact same washer. I currently have it in pieces in my basement. I recently replaced the seals including the overflow piece at the top of the tub as these were leaking previously. This washer is 10 years old now. The problem that I'm having now is like someone else mentioned, I had a ton of crud build up on the inside of the spider and my bearings are shot now. The arms on the steel tub are fine, they're not cracked and there isn't hardly any build up on them and they're not pitted. I used a pressure washer to remove the crap that was on them and remove the mold build up on the inside of the outer tub.

My question really is this... would it be worth it to spend the $160+ on a new outer tub and fix this washer (works fine otherwise) or scrap it and just buy a new machine? The instructions mention that if you replace the outer tub with the bearings, you may need to replace the inner tub as well? Why would I need to do this? Would, the bearings failing cause the shaft of the inner tub to not be true?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this if possible. Thanks!

Jason
Joe / APP Team  
#23 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:28:35 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: inetjnky Go to Quoted Post
I have this exact same washer. I currently have it in pieces in my basement. I recently replaced the seals including the overflow piece at the top of the tub as these were leaking previously. This washer is 10 years old now. The problem that I'm having now is like someone else mentioned, I had a ton of crud build up on the inside of the spider and my bearings are shot now. The arms on the steel tub are fine, they're not cracked and there isn't hardly any build up on them and they're not pitted. I used a pressure washer to remove the crap that was on them and remove the mold build up on the inside of the outer tub.

My question really is this... would it be worth it to spend the $160+ on a new outer tub and fix this washer (works fine otherwise) or scrap it and just buy a new machine? The instructions mention that if you replace the outer tub with the bearings, you may need to replace the inner tub as well? Why would I need to do this? Would, the bearings failing cause the shaft of the inner tub to not be true?

Would appreciate your thoughts on this if possible. Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

99 % of the time, you don't need the inner tub assembly. As long as there is no discoloration on the shaft, as long as there are no deep grooves or "spawling" on the shaft, and you can "clean up" the shaft with some emory cloth and penetrating oil,you won't need a new spin basket. As a repair technician, it's something you need to consider when servicing this type of unit, so you don't inconvenience the consumer, with additional expense and time required to properly repair the unit.

Good Luck and Thanks,
dwd2010  
#24 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:39:29 AM(UTC)
dwd2010

I too have this exact same noise but only when washer goes to highest spin rate during spin cycle!! Have ruled out previously mentioned possiblilites. My spider arms in good shape. I'm suspecting bad bearings but can not duplicate sound by turning manually. I say bearings from my limited mechanical experience with other type bearings on cars etc.
The outer plastic tub will shake excessively and grinding noise will accompany this excessive shaking. I see a little oil fluid (dime size) which I assume has come from bearing point?

Before tackling this I would like to know if bearings can be replaced without replacing whole plastic outer tub? Given the above referenced tear down procedure feel confident I can do this!! Thanks for this great referenced site and easy parts look up site!! Truly Dirk
dwd2010  
#25 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:46:10 PM(UTC)
dwd2010

Just a little update, I can now get inner metal tub to put out a steady squealing sound even by maunually turning drum. I've taken the black rubber door seal loose and pushed it inside metal tub so as to rule out any possible rubbing. That squealing is sure hard to pinpoint cuz I believe its like an echo chamber in the whole setup. Sure sounds like a bad bearing though. Tried spraying some silicon spray onto the shaft in back but no help.

I sure hope I don't have to buy a whole plactic outer drum to fix those bearings??!!

Tia, Dirk
Joe / APP Team  
#26 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:17:16 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Dirk,

I have to agree, sounds like a bad tub bearing to me as well.

You'll need to order the rear tub assembly, in order to get the tub bearing and seal assembly,

Part number: AP2578105
Part number: AP2578105

That's the only way the manufacturer supplys the needed parts.
I guess you'll want to think that over, but it is a doable repair, and makes for a nice "Weekend Project".

Good Luck and Thanks,
dwd2010  
#27 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:05:49 PM(UTC)
dwd2010

Thanks for your response Joe!!

Going to disassemble just for the "fun" of it and see what I see. I'll report back what I find!!

Thanks again! Dirk
dwd2010  
#28 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:16:58 PM(UTC)
dwd2010

Update: I disassembled my washer and found inner metal tub had one of the three "spider arms" broken. I put quotations cuz I previously said in post #24 that they were ok:eek: . I was thinking the "spider arms" were the pulley arms radiating out from the bolt location. After disassembling and re-reading this thread I realized my error.

Anyhow, I now am afraid I need inner metal basket and outer plastic w bearings:( Sounding cheaper to scrap:confused: and get a new. Not sure bout bearings , maybe only this broken arm causing all the problems, or maybe bad bearings caused broken arm:confused: Kinda like the chicken and the egg question
David F  
#29 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 1:54:44 AM(UTC)
David F

Originally Posted by: dwd2010 Go to Quoted Post
Update: I disassembled my washer and found inner metal tub had one of the three "spider arms" broken. I put quotations cuz I previously said in post #24 that they were ok:eek: . I was thinking the "spider arms" were the pulley arms radiating out from the bolt location. After disassembling and re-reading this thread I realized my error.

Anyhow, I now am afraid I need inner metal basket and outer plastic w bearings:( Sounding cheaper to scrap:confused: and get a new. Not sure bout bearings , maybe only this broken arm causing all the problems, or maybe bad bearings caused broken arm:confused: Kinda like the chicken and the egg question

Should there be any sign of corrosion of your spider that may have conributed to the failure of the seal and bearings. The product of corrosion of the aluminium alloy spider is aluminium oxide, the same 'stuff' that provides the 'grit' in sandpaper. Get some of that in the washing/rinsing water and I do not think the soft lips of the seal will last very long, thus letting water into the bearings.
Joe / APP Team  
#30 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 5:31:26 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: David F Go to Quoted Post
Should there be any sign of corrosion of your spider that may have conributed to the failure of the seal and bearings. The product of corrosion of the aluminium alloy spider is aluminium oxide, the same 'stuff' that provides the 'grit' in sandpaper. Get some of that in the washing/rinsing water and I do not think the soft lips of the seal will last very long, thus letting water into the bearings.

Everyone's on target, today.
A lot of good information, but not too many alternatives. I'm sure someone out there may have more reccomendations, or alternatives. but at this point, you've got a good size repair on your hands.

Good Luck,

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply