Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kristine  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:11:31 PM(UTC)
Kristine

Groups: Registered

:eek: Help!! I have a Kenmore 80 series washer. It went through my parents house fire but was in a room that just lost the ceiling. Everything works fine except it won't spin. The agitator works fine, water drains out...all cycles seem to be fine. You can hear it change cycles and sound as if the motor runs to spin the tub...but no movement. Thought it might have a belt loose...no belt so I guess it has a clutch. Could it be somthing simple from the moisture and being stored for several months. The house was called a total loss due to fire. There was ALOT of water used to put out fire and washer did get soaked then stored. It worked fine before the fire. HELP the laundry is taking over my house!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ThatGuy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:32:22 AM(UTC)
ThatGuy

Groups: Expert
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kristine Go to Quoted Post
:eek: Help!! I have a Kenmore 80 series washer. It went through my parents house fire but was in a room that just lost the ceiling. Everything works fine except it won't spin. The agitator works fine, water drains out...all cycles seem to be fine. You can hear it change cycles and sound as if the motor runs to spin the tub...but no movement. Thought it might have a belt loose...no belt so I guess it has a clutch. Could it be something simple from the moisture and being stored for several months. The house was called a total loss due to fire. There was ALOT of water used to put out fire and washer did get soaked then stored. It worked fine before the fire. HELP the laundry is taking over my house!!

First off, a model number would be helpful.

Here's some generic knowledge that might help in the meantime.

Check the lid switch and see if you can hear it click. Try physically wiggling the timer knob left to right and up and down when the washer is in spin cycle. See if that causes it to spin. It could also be a bad clutch or locked brake or even a bad gearcase.
Kristine  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 2:50:37 PM(UTC)
Kristine

Originally Posted by: ThatGuy Go to Quoted Post
First off, a model number would be helpful.

Here's some generic knowledge that might help in the meantime.

Check the lid switch and see if you can hear it click. Try physically wiggling the timer knob left to right and up and down when the washer is in spin cycle. See if that causes it to spin. It could also be a bad clutch or locked brake or even a bad gearcase.

:confused: Sorry for not listing the numbers before...new to this. Model # 110.26882500 Ser. # cs3929448 Type111. Brake sounds like a real possibility because of the moisture from storage and since the tub will not turn even by hand. The lid switch works. I can hear it and it stops the aggitation when lid is lifted. If it is the brake stuck any suggestions on how to free it? I really appreciate any help you can give.Thanks.
ThatGuy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:38:15 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

:confused: Sorry for not listing the numbers before...new to this. Model # 110.26882500 Ser. # cs3929448 Type111. Brake sounds like a real possibility because of the moisture from storage and since the tub will not turn even by hand. The lid switch works. I can hear it and it stops the agitation when lid is lifted. If it is the brake stuck any suggestions on how to free it? I really appreciate any help you can give.Thanks.

I can't say that I have ever seen one rust up, but its more than possible if it was very wet there or immersed in water. Also it cold be the main bearings have stuck.

Getting to the spin tube or "drive Basket" as they call it is hard. You have to take off the washer's outside shell, remove the top of the tub, remove the agitator, then you need a special tool to remove the tub spanner or nut. Then you have to remove the basket and drive block.

Then you need to tip the washer back or lay it flat to remove the motor and gearcase. The last thing in there is the brake and spin tube. I'll see if I can find you a job aid that describes it better.
Kristine  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:34:27 PM(UTC)
Kristine

I can't say that I have ever seen one rust up, but its more than possible if it was very wet there or immersed in water. Also it cold be the main bearings have stuck.

Getting to the spin tube or "drive Basket" as they call it is hard. You have to take off the washer's outside shell, remove the top of the tub, remove the agitator, then you need a special tool to remove the tub spanner or nut. Then you have to remove the basket and drive block.

Then you need to tip the washer back or lay it flat to remove the motor and gearcase. The last thing in there is the brake and spin tube. I'll see if I can find you a job aid that describes it better.

:cool: It wasn't immersed but I saw some of the strangest things in that house in the weeks preceding it being torn down. This really sounds like the solution. The job aid would be greatly appreciated. Pretty detailed procedure but I've tackled things like that before...Actually pretty mechanically inclined...for a girl. Comercial and home electrician for many years. Not scared to tackel most any job but directons really would help on appliances. Thanks a million. :D
ThatGuy  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:48:11 PM(UTC)
ThatGuy

United States

:cool: It wasn't immersed but I saw some of the strangest things in that house in the weeks preceding it being torn down. This really sounds like the solution. The job aid would be greatly appreciated. Pretty detailed procedure but I've tackled things like that before...Actually pretty mechanically inclined...for a girl. Comercial and home electrician for many years. Not scared to tackel most any job but directons really would help on appliances. Thanks a million. :D

Go to service matters http://servicematters.com/tech_ref/JA/ja_main.htm

Pick "laundry" and search for Job aid L-55

That might help especially page 27.
Kristine  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:21:05 PM(UTC)
Kristine

Go to service matters http://servicematters.com/tech_ref/JA/ja_main.htm

Pick "laundry" and search for Job aid L-55

That might help especially page 27.

I was still using the washer and hand ringing the chothes and it must have been rusted/frozen because it finally broke free on it's own!!! Thanks so much for your response and thankfully I didn't have to break down the washer. From all I saw in the instructions, I was going to pretty much take the entire washer apart to get to the problem. You can now officially say you have heard of a washer's break being rusted/frozen due to moisture and hopefully for the next person with this problem theirs will break loose on it's own. Again I really appreciate you giving me the advice. Hope you have a blessed day for your help and "paying it foward". The world needs more people willing to give their help/advice. I'll remember to do my part and "pay it foward" also. Thanks!:D
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply