Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mirage_Man  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:49:12 AM(UTC)
Mirage_Man

Groups: Registered

I have an 80 series Kenmore washer made by Whirlpool. Yesterday we put it a larger than usual load and when we came back to check the tub was full of water and it was making a grinding noise, like gears that are stripped. The motor was running however and if you push the lid switch the water drained.

After checking online the first thing I checked was the drive coupling. It was stripped so I went and got a replacement from Sears. Upon putting the part on I noticed that I could spin the gearbox side with my finger. I don't know but it seems to me that I shouldn't be able to do that. I also assume that if one turns the agitator by hand that should in turn turn the transmission coupler, right? Well it doesn't. It makes that grinding stripped gear-like noise.

Upon further research I am thinking that it's either the clutch or gearbox. I can handle replacing the clutch for $30 or so bucks but if it's the gearbox I really don't want to put $200 into it.

Can anyone tell if it's the clutch or gearbox from what I've described?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mirage_Man  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 11, 2010 2:41:07 PM(UTC)
Mirage_Man

Well it turns out there's nothing wrong with the washer besides the drive coupler. I put everything back together and it works like a champ.
Jeff masephol  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 24, 2010 8:44:18 AM(UTC)
Jeff masephol

I had this problem, found out it was the coupler between the motor and the gear box. Ordered the part for around $25.00 and put it in. 15 minutes later had it up and running. I took the hose off the back of the machine and laid it on it's back, this will give you enough room to take the motor off the gear box. There will be 2 screws (1/4" heads) that hold a spring strap on the motor to take off. Once you get this done take out the old coupler, line up the shafts with the opening in the coupler, slide the motor back on. Reattached the mounting straps and screws. I found that the couple is a little bit larger than the one I took off so it might smell like something is burning, but it should seat itself in a little while. It rubbed on the gears box for a little bit.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply