Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Taeya  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:54:41 PM(UTC)
Taeya

Groups: Registered

Please help! Our side by side Kenmore refrigerator quit cooling and we traced the problem to a faulty relay or overload on the compressor. The fan ran all the time but the compressor would never kick in. It would hum and then click off without starting. Because of some extremely helpful info on this site (thanks!) we were able to test the resistance on the compressor and everything added up - there was a reading of 2, 9 and 11. Also, it was not grounded. So, that was good news. We weren't sure at first because when we took the relay off a few days ago, it did not rattle and was not burned looking. However, a repairman said that it could still be a bad relay. Needless to say, we were relieved when the compressor checked out okay. Yesterday we went to an appliance parts store and the manufacturer parts were not in stock, so the man my husband talked to recommended a combination relay overload (MA-IC13 by MA-Line) that he said is very popular and he sells a lot of. However, when my husband got home and tried to put it on he ran into some problems because the part has 2 lines, but our refrigerator has 3 wires (blue to overload, black that was spliced and connected to overload and also to relay, and white to relay). As he is not an electrician, he just guessed and wired the the white wire and one side of the black wire to the relay overload and wired the other side of the black wire and the blue wire together. Well, after plugging in the fridge, the fan started running, but the compressor never even attempted to kick in. Today, my husband talked to the guy from the part store and he told him to just wire the blue and white wires to the relay overload and cap off the black wires. Well, now the compressor hums and clicks off, but the fan doesn't run at all. Is there some way to get everything wired up properly so it will work again?? Is it even possible to use this part with our particular refrigerator? Even if we can get it working, is this okay to use long term or should this just be a temp fix until we can get the manufacturer parts in? Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to give all the details, so hopefully someone can help us. Thanks so much!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

v2k04  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:14:51 PM(UTC)
v2k04

Groups: Senior Expert

What does the relay you bought look like? IF it has a tecumseh compressor in it the relay probably wont help but we can try But I dont know what you are trying to hook up
Taeya  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:34:29 PM(UTC)
Taeya

The compressor is a tecumseh...is that bad? I'm attaching a few photos of the relay so you can see for yourself. Do you need any more info from me? Thanks for the quick reply and for your help!!!
Taeya attached the following image(s):
relay1.jpg
relay2.jpg
relay3.jpg
relay4.jpg
Taeya  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:51:18 PM(UTC)
Taeya

So...I did a little research and found out tecumseh compressors don't have the best name. My question is this though, I tested the compressor with an ohmmeter like icehouse described in this thread (http://forum.appliancepartspros...freezer-not-cooling.html) and everything tested okay. No zero readings when checking for shorted compressor, no infinity readings when checking for open windings and no reading when testing for grounds. Could it still be a bad compressor even though all that checked out?

By the way, thanks again for your help. Living out of a mini fridge for nearly a week with 3 small children is less than thrilling, so it will be wonderful to get this figured out!
v2k04  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:20:14 PM(UTC)
v2k04

it should tell ya on the package but some are wired not to industry standards but if its the kind i'm thinking black goes to common white to start and red to run then bllack wires are to your power source but before you hack the refrigerator wires get an old extension cord and wire it to that one to hot one to common and see if comressor will run with justy that and nothing to frig will come on but comressor if it works that way first then the compressor mightg last a little longer but you are just buying time those compressors were'nt very good and usually failed within 5 years you might have compressor warranty left depending how old it is
Taeya  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:10:44 PM(UTC)
Taeya

Well...my husband just wired it straight to an extension cord and the compressor buzzed and then clicked off. Does that mean it's beyond help? Just out of curiosity, why would it have tested okay on the ohmmeter? Thanks so much, I really appreciate all your help.
v2k04  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:20:12 PM(UTC)
v2k04

The windings check ok but that doesn't alweays mean its good How old is it? Those Trios all had the same issue with compressor.You can replace the compressor for about 500
icehouse  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:06:31 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Originally Posted by: Taeya Go to Quoted Post
Well...my husband just wired it straight to an extension cord and the compressor buzzed and then clicked off. Does that mean it's beyond help? Just out of curiosity, why would it have tested okay on the ohmmeter? Thanks so much, I really appreciate all your help.

The reason it probably failed to start even though the ohmmeter test was good was due to the internal motor locking or freezing up.
If you had a repairman look at it, why didn't he check this out for you as I am sure you paid him.
Taeya  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:40:23 AM(UTC)
Taeya

It is about 8 years old. The repairman didn't actually look at it. I called him and after describing the problem to him, he agreed that it was either a bad compressor or bad relay. I asked him if it could still be the relay even though it didn't look or sound fried and he said yes, it could still be bad. He personally doesn't even replace compressors anymore because of the cost involved. Told me it would probably be best to just replace the fridge if it did turn out to be the compressor... As we're on a bit of a tight budget, we tried to figure it out ourselves. Are there any last resorts or is this pretty much it? If we can get it fixed for $500, that is less than a new one, but is it a good idea to spend that much on an 8 year old refrigerator?

Again, thanks guys for all your help, you've been more than great.
icehouse  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:05:15 AM(UTC)
icehouse

Yes and no. The government says that as long as it last ten years, that is satisfactory.
If you replace the compressor, ask about an extended warranty. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply