Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jlrmo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:46:37 PM(UTC)
jlrmo

Groups: Registered

[FONT='Times New Roman']My Whirlpool washer LSQ9500LQ0 would not spin correctly, it would slip and you could smell a burning smell. Empty if you would manually spun the tub it would slowly pick up on its own and then work. With this being the problem I replaced the clutch pack. Now the unit will spin...HOWEVER it will not switch from the agitate mode to the spin mode on its own. After it gets done agitating the unit will start pumping the water out and not spin the tub. It won’t even try to move the tub. However if you raise and lower the hood/door then it will kick in and work fine. You can hear a click when you open the lid and it kicks out of gear. So what I am wondering is did I put everything back right? Or could there be another problem like the door switch? But if it were the door switch then why will it work after breaking the cycle then engaging it again? I think it must be in the clutch assy, the drive motor, or the timer switch. Has anyone had this problem? Was the old clutch assy bad? Any info will help thanks.[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 3:53:51 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Ok, you did not do anything wrong in installing your clutch and it sounds like it did need replacing. Let me tell you what is probably going on here and how to fix things.

Your machine has a three speed transmission, forward, neutral and reverse. In fact the neutral is called a neutral drain, the reason being that when the timer is ready for the machine to drain water, the transmission goes into neutral so the motor is not trying to spin a tub full of water. Once the water is drained, the machine is ready to start to spin. The way the transmission know this and switches gear is that the motor briefly stops.

In your situation you are not getting the short pause in the motor, so the machine never goes into spin. When you raise the lid, you manually pause the motor, so when you lower the lid the spin begins.

Now if this is the problem the way to fix this is to replace the timer, here it is.

Part number: AP3020314
Part number: AP3020314

and fortunately it is pretty reasonable as far as timers go. However, before you spend money try this. Spin the timer knob fast through the cycles a number of times and see if you don't loosen things up. If that doesn't do it, try a few more times. Also, you can open up the console and check and clean the connections. Check to see that nothing has come loose in the timer and that everything looks ok. Sometimes the timer repairs itself in this manner.

Good luck.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply