Freezer and Fridge are both warm

Good morning, everyone,

I’ve been having problems with my freezer and fridge for about a week, and I was hoping to get some guidance on what my next steps would be. Samsung has already told me they don’t have a service technician in my area.

We noticed about two weeks ago that the ice maker was making ice really slowly. We checked the water supply and cleaned the compressor coils, and the ice maker improved slightly, but it never really bounced back. About a week after that, the ice maker stopped making ice completely, and the food in the freezer (ice cream) was noticeably soft. I put a thermometer in the freezer and observed that the freezer was ~25 degrees F, rather than the 0 degrees set by the control panel. I put the same thermometer in the fridge, and the fridge is at ~45 degrees F instead of the 34 degrees F set by the control panel.

Based on some research I’ve done, I suspect the issue with the ice maker is a symptom of the warm temperature, not the other way around.

I’ve done some basic troubleshooting so far:

  • The control panel is responsive. I set the temperature in the freezer to -8 degrees, but the thermometer is still reading at ~25.

  • I set the temperature in the fridge to 34 degrees, but the thermometer is still reading at ~45 degrees.

  • The coils are clean and free of debris.

  • The compressor appears to be running. It’s vibrating and slightly warm to the touch, but not hot.

  • The compressor fan is running.

  • The circuit board on the back of the fridge isn’t showing any fault codes. The fault light is solid red, which I understand is a good thing based on my research.

  • There are no fault codes on the control panel.

One thing I noticed when doing my research is that it appears that the control panel is supposed to display the real temperature inside the fridge/freezer, not the temperature setting. The fridge and freezer temperature display is reading 34 and -8 degrees, respectively, which is what the two compartments are set to, but that’s clearly not the case. I don’t see a way to access the control panel itself, and I haven’t tested the probe, but it seems odd to me that both temperature probes would fail at the same time.

I would appreciate some feedback. Is there something I should be testing here, or something I overlooked? Thanks.