Clogged defrost drain

Brand: Kenmore
Model Number: 106.4122212
Main Symptom: Ice in bottom of freezer
What happens & when:

Whirlpool made 33" wide side by side

A couple years ago, I noticed that ice was building up on the bottom of the freezer. I figured that the drain was clogged so I took the back panel out and ran some hot water through the drain. Put everything back together and all was good until recently.

I noticed the other day that the ice is building up again. What would be causing the drain to freeze up? Could my freezer be set too cold? Is there supposed to be a heater for the drain tube?

Thanks.

No, there is no drain tube heater on your model.

More than likely, a small piece of debris has gotten into the drain tube and is restricting the water flow. Over several defrost cycles, the water can back up, overflow the defrost drain area, and then refreeze on the bottom of the freezer.

Since you’ve already cleaned the drain once, I would access it again and thoroughly flush the drain tube with hot water. Make sure the water flows freely all the way down into the drain pan underneath the refrigerator.

If it backs up or drains slowly, there’s still a restriction somewhere in the tube that needs to be cleared.