Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PamThompson  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 9:51:35 AM(UTC)
PamThompson

Groups: Registered

I recently removed the float mechanism, the filter cover, and the sump cover to clean out debris (some of which was visible in the filter cover) because the dishes - especially black cooking tools had a grey film and there was small debris in the bottom of dishwasher, although most plates and glasses were cleaning up quite well. There was a lot of gummy buildup in the float mechanism and underside of all the parts. When the spray arm was removed, I noticed the "clip" holding the arm in. I pulled up and it released. There was a little bit of paper like stuff in the spray arm and it was removed and cleaned. When I put it back into the dishwasher, I could not "find" the clips to hold the spray arm down. This is necessary so that the water force pushes the collapsing tower up to the spray part on the top rack. Did I break something? It appears from the parts picture that the lower part of the spray arm (part 501) aka AP2039850 has become detached and is still in the dishwasher. how do I get this reconnected? the dishwasher runs fine, but obviously is not spraying correctly as the arm will not stay in place and extend the water up to the upper rack arm.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 5:07:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pam,

What is the complete model number of the dishwasher?

Gene.
PamThompson  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 6:16:42 PM(UTC)
PamThompson

Groups: Registered

Gene, it is a GSD4134, part 501. I broke the retaining clips apparently. There was only one, but it was rescued from the sump pump collection area. (whew! - and the shield like piece kept it out of the pump) So, we have "engineered" something to hold it and everything seems to be working fine. The dishwasher is technically 12 years old, but not used much by previous owner who was bachelor who ate out a lot. Thanks for trying to get me going in the right direction. I am wondering how hard it is to get a whole new piece in or if it is worth worrying with at all with the age of the dishwasher. It works great before this issue which I definitely think was the plastic film of the detergent tabs not completely dissolving.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:18:02 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Pam,

Looks like the whole spray arm assembly has to be replaced and this not an easy job. So if it's working now - do not touch it.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply