Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
George_m_ross  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 9, 2010 2:10:40 PM(UTC)
George_m_ross

Groups: Registered

Originally the problem was that the tub just kept filling and would never advance to its next cycle...apparently it kept filling for a half hour until I checked it. So I removed the front panel and removed the pressure switch. I than blew into the pressure switch to check if it was working properly...its sounds like it engauges when I apply pressure. I than put the switch back, plugged the washer back in and restarted the first cycle by advancing the timer manually. Now the washer will not fill during the first cycle...the water enters the tub and than exits through the drain.

What stops the water from draining during the first fill cycle?

What else can I check?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 10:08:33 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Try pulling the drain hose out of the drain stand pipe a little. It sounds like the water is just siphoning right on through. You need a slight air gap to prevent this.
George_m_ross  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 10, 2010 11:50:21 AM(UTC)
George_m_ross

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do not have the standard intallation with a stand pipe. The drain hose ties directly into an airtight fitting on the floor...which ties into the plumbing. I will have to install a standard stand pipe drain and standard drain hose from washer to standpipe.
I will try this out and let you know.
George_m_ross  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:59:18 AM(UTC)
George_m_ross

It appears that the problem was caused by "siphon action". My washer had no standpipe or any ventilation gaps that would prevent "siphon action". A standpipe intallation allows air to follow the water as it drains into the plumbing...preventing "siphon action". In addition, the standpipe also allows the tub to fill properly which than triggers the pressure switch that advances the next cycle.

After intstallation of a standpipe (1.5" or 2" diameter), which ties into the sewage plumbing, and must exceed the height of the water level of the washer, the washer worked perfect accept for one thing. When the washer experienced a spin cycle or drain cycle, a small amount of water would splash out of the top of the stand pipe. I beleive this is called "splashback". This problem was easily fixed by attaching a "standpipe end cap". The standpipe end cap is a rubber fitting that securely holds the return hose in place, prevents splashback, and has vent holes that prevent siphoning action.

Before this forum, I had no clue that the standpipe was a necessary element of a washer system. Furthermore, my washer ran pretty well, for not even having a standpipe for almost five years before it ceased to work properly...how the tub filled up without one is still a mystery. After intalling this standpipe I have not experienced any problems since than.

Thanks for the help...
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply