Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
emgconsulting  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:58:47 PM(UTC)
emgconsulting

Groups: Registered

New to the site, Have an approximate 8 year old GE Proflie Performance fridge side by side, freezer compartment gets iced up- bad and the compressor keeps running and fridge wont get below 60. while freezer stays around 50
I read several replies on icing refridgerators about checking and replacing the defrost timer, the defrost heater, defrost thermostat and possibly the control board.

For this model TFS22PPDABS GE Profile Performance the defrost timer appears to eb the same as the fridge control knob, I see no way to turn the shaft with a flat bladed screwdriver and checking 10 mins later for a sizzle. I also cannto find the control board or the heating unit, it must be behind the ice maker unit.
I called a technician in who wanted over 400$ to replace the defrosting system but he recommended a new fridge since the compressor may go next due to the extra stress. I see all these parts for the defrost system sells for about 50$.
Should I just replace this unit (as one piece) and see what happens ? I am handy with a screwdriver but the diagram/instructions seem sketchy considering it does not dismantle easy. Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

abadfish66  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 5:15:38 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

Groups: Senior Expert

Remove the control knobs by pulling them. remove the plastic shield the knobs went through, and your timer is to the right, you'll see a hole to stick you screwdriver in to turn it. There is no control board. You need to remove all shelves in the freezer section, and remove the back in the freezer panel to get access to the evap and heaters. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.
emgconsulting  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 6:48:53 PM(UTC)
emgconsulting

Thanks, found the defrost timer , turned it till it clicked and plugged the fridge back in, the unit worked as normal but I never heard a sizzling sound, so I guess the defrost timer is good. Now, in a few days or a week it will ice back up again and the temp will go down, I assume the next bet is to test the defrost heater and thermostat, I took the back panel off in the freezer but dont see the picture I expected, is this behind the ice maker unit below the freezer fan or can it be removed form the bottom without taking out the plate where the freezer light bulb socket goes thru.
Thanks again
abadfish66  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 28, 2008 8:14:58 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

emgconsulting  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 2:42:18 PM(UTC)
emgconsulting

Thanks, found defrost heater and removed, checked continuty which showed it was bad but also removed from shield and the coil inside was all burned out so I ordered a new heater defrost assembly from the website. Thanks I hope to install this and let you know the results. I plan on just installing the heater unit and using the old leads and defrost thermostat since the heater coil itself was so bad. Do you recommend this as a wise course, I did purhcase the whole set but it seems so obvious this was the issue.
Thanks again
abadfish66  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 3:07:22 PM(UTC)
abadfish66

If you ordered the assembly, it comes pre wired with everything you need, just unplug the rubber 3 pin harness up top and replace as an assembly, does'nt take any more effort than just replacing the heater, You'll see what I'm talking about when you recieve the heater kit. Keep us posted :)
emgconsulting  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 15, 2008 3:14:24 PM(UTC)
emgconsulting

Wonderful, I installed the unit, defrost heater assembly and after a month the refridgerator is still working fine.
Thanks so much for all your assistance, great site, great advice and saved several hundred dollars from the quoted repair price !!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply