Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
blmcewan  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 25, 2008 4:12:40 PM(UTC)
blmcewan

Groups: Registered

Fridge was purchased brand new and is 6 years old.

PROBLEM: Freezer was not getting cold enough; completely defrosting; staying warm, eventually the refrigerator got warm as well. After service tech said get a new one because it's a leak in the sealed system, Now everything appears to be back to normal or is it--we have differing service opinions.

Here's the timeline/play by play:

Last Thursday night - Wife pulled something out of theand noticed moisture on it and something else in the door; but just assumed the door had been cracked open because of a freezer drawer. Shut everything tight.

Friday morning - opened door and major defrost occured water poured out on the floor. Began clean out of freezer side, fridge side seemed okay.

Friday noon - after reading online/remembering: vacuumed behind and bottom (condensor?) coils; they were completel covered in dust. I don't recall ever vacuuming in the 6 years and 1 move we have made with it. There was probably little or no air flow through the vent/filter to the fan. Unfortunately I did not physically touch the compresson or any other part for hot/cold. Fridge was temporarily unplugged during vacuuming, but then plugged back in.

By this point fridge side also began showing signs of warming; everything out. No service could be done until Monday noon.

Saturday morning started to open the appliance up more but didn't get too far before saying Whoa let's not go there. I opened the metal panel on the inside of the freezer to expose the evaporative coils. There was no frost to be found on them.

At this point from reading and the previous days vacuuming. Fans were running, turning on and off with the door switch being push in/out, just no cold.

Decided not to purse anything else as I read that thermostat items etc. were controlled/onboard the circuit board of this model, closed 'er up but left plugged in empty except for a couple of cans of pop and some pitchers of juice in the fridge.

Status quo until Monday noon when service tech showed up. Removed back panels. He felt the coils, compressor, did something with the circuit board started saying it was a leak with the sealed system closed it up and then open up the inside as I did.

The bottom row of coil had some frost on it-but he stated with some assurity that it was indeed a "leak in the sealed system, evap coil only 1/12 frosted." Those were the noted on the work order. He basically said that it was a slow leak and explained that there should be frost all the way up. OK understood and already knew I was talking a new appliance because the parts/labor etc. would be as much/more than a new.

Part WR85X10022 $453.81
Part(s) WR86X0096
WR87X10042 $401.46
Labor $285.00
Initial Diag 78.10
Total 1218.37

SOOOOOO
We began looking found a great used whirlpool 4 mos old from original owner; however:

Monday night the whole system started getting not cool but cold evidenced by the drinks and interior surface touch.

Tuesday same cold, including water from water dispenser, no ice as I had turned this off and didn't think to turn it on

Tuesday night we put some Otter Pops/FalvorIce treats in the freezer to see what they would do.

Wednesday morning treats frozen solid; opened up the back of the freezer and here's what the coils looked like approx 8:10am:

Picasa Web Albums - Bryan - ge-fridge

Called a different repair place and explained the situation and he gave a different answer:
1. If it were a sealed system leak, you would get NO FROST on the coils
2. There is no RESET on the circuit board as I was told by the technician
3. Vacuuming off the condensor coils, as bad as they were, and leaving the thing plugged in and running would take longer to decipate the heat build up like 2 to 3 days--about the time the tech showed up on Monday from when I vacuumed on Friday.

Upon called the service mgr of the tech that came he is backing up the tech and the report of the problem and that it will happen again maybe in a few weeks or months, "it's just an inefficient system" it builds up, no airflow, something something. WHen asked why this just suddenly started happening. He stated it (a slow leak) can take 1 to 2 years to fully manifest itself. The tech did say don't be fooled by it getting cool again and putting food in there. However, this is cold and freezing things.

So sorry for the saga but I need 1 or multiple expert opinions to know if this appliance is fixed because I vacuumed or if it's a legitamite leak or if it's something else??? We're getting the whirlpool regardless it's black and we've been making do with a white among other black appliance. We just want to know if we can use/salvage it as a good 2nd or sell it to recoup some cost of the new one.

MUCH THANKS!!
Oh yes, here's a pix of the coils now later in the day today if that helps with the diagnosis--There's a lot more frost, but not all the way up to the top and it's hard to see the back.

Picasa Web Albums - Bryan - ge-fridge
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.