Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bee46  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:16:02 PM(UTC)
Bee46

Groups: Registered

In finding a repairing a pinhole leak in my water filter line, I noticed that the cooling fan that blows over the coils was not turning. A manual turn of the fan blades and it would start turning, but would stop shortly after, requiring another manual turn.
I removed it, blew it out with air and then connected it directly to 110v and it turned fine. I have since reconnected it, but left it out on the floor to see if it continues to spin and it seems to, but also stops periodically and then starts again.
It it a correct assumption that the fan motor cooling system is designed to cycle as needed based off of temp readings from somewhere, or on a timer or the likes?
If it is not a motor problem, could someone please suggest other possible causes for the fan not to start on it's own. A starting cap perhaps? Other?

Thanks,
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:52:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bee46,

If you are talking about the cooling fan next to the compressor - this fan must run together with the compressor.

In the situation you described I would recommend to replace this fan. You can not rely on it anymore and it can cause overheating and damage to the compressor.

- The part number for the condenser fan motor is AP2111368

Here are the break down diagrams for the Frigidaire refrigerator Model FRT26XGCD2

Gene.
Bee46  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:11:55 PM(UTC)
Bee46

Hello Gene,

Was logging back in to add some additional info to better help you help me diagnose the problem and was welcome by your reply. I agree w/ your assessment and will be ordering a new fan motor.
What I found was that if the motor w/ the fan blade attached sat on its base so that the fan blades faced up, then the motor could spin the blades OK and did so for the better part of an afternoon, but when I reinstalled the motor and blade assembly back into it's position which is such that the blades are spinning sideways, then the motor doesn't have what it takes to spin the blades.
For now, I have a 6" desk fan blowing over the compressor and coils until I can get a replacement.
Thanks again for your assistance on this,
Two for two in my book!

Ron a.k.a. Bee46

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bee46,

If you are talking about the cooling fan next to the compressor - this fan must run together with the compressor.

In the situation you described I would recommend to replace this fan. You can rely on it anymore and it can cause overheating and damage to the compressor.

- The part number for the condenser fan motor is AP2111368

Here are the break down diagrams for the Frigidaire refrigerator Model FRT26XGCD2

Gene.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:37:19 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Ron,

Most likely when you place the motor in the original position, it's overheating because of hot air streaming around.

Gene.
Bee46  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:46:28 PM(UTC)
Bee46

They sure think a lot of those motors don't they? I'm finding them online for $75 to $100, with the link you sent being the lowest so far.
Will look locally tomorrow and then go from there.
Thanks again.

Hi Ron,

Most likely when you place the motor in the original position, it's overheating because of hot air streaming around.

Gene.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:09:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

Ron,

The part number I posted is for the OEM part. If you would like to use an aftermarket part, you can buy it for just $48.56

The part number for the condenser fan motor is AP3720651

Gene.
P.S. I used them a lot.
Bee46  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 7:10:16 PM(UTC)
Bee46

Hello Gene,

Well you just made it three for three in great advice as I have no problem in using an aftermarket motor.
Thanks for letting me know about it,

Ron

quote=Gene;24840]Ron,

The part number I posted is for the OEM part. If you would like to use an aftermarket part, you can buy it for just $48.56

Gene.
P.S. I used them a lot.
Bee46  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:25:41 PM(UTC)
Bee46

Hello Again Gene,

As luck would have it, the aftermarket fan motor is out of stock.
Could you please take a look at the motor from the link I found to see if this is compatible as far as you can tell from the picture and description. It shows that it is Frigidaire compatible.
If you think it's close enough to warrant further checking into, then I can call the company and get a better over-the-phone description.
My biggest question would be if the side not shown in the picture has the three holes needed to match up with the mounting brackets.

WX4X989 Condenser Fan Motor Kit - Appliance Parts World

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Ron,

Gene.
P.S. I used them a lot.
Bee46  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 2:30:36 PM(UTC)
Bee46

Hello Gene,

I found a motor locally. The part number in the link I posted yesterday is WX4X989 and the one I purchased was a WX4X990 ($19.95) and both are GE.
The new motor was stamped CONDENSER MOTOR 2W CW 115V (as was the original, with the only difference being the old was 1300RPM and the new is 1550RPM) and came w/o connectors and so I cut and soldered the connector from the old motor onto the new one. I have installed the new motor and all seems well, but I have a few questions.
Is the fan designed to pull in air from the back and blow it into and across the condenser coils laying across the bottom of the fridge? That is what the new fan is doing now, but the fan is presently turning CCW when viewed from the "front" of the motor where the fan connects to the shaft. (Or should I be viewing it from the "back" to determine rotation direction and in this case, it would then be CW.)
Would polarity be an issue here? I'm not aware of any way, if it is polarity sensitive, on how to make the determination on the two bare leads coming from the new (or old) motor. With AC, it would still spin the same direction as designed w/o regards as to which of the two wires on the connector end were connected to on the motor end, or am I off base?

Thanks,

Ron

Originally Posted by: Bee46 Go to Quoted Post
Hello Gene,

Well you just made it three for three in great advice as I have no problem in using an aftermarket motor.
Thanks for letting me know about it,

Ron

quote=Gene;24840]Ron,

Gene.
P.S. I used them a lot.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 3:27:28 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Ron,

There is nothing to worry about. This motor should work fine.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply